* No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-07 23:41 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-07 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

The regular mailing lists appear to work after the migration, and
you folks probably are still hacking on things right now, so I just
wanted to note that notifications for wwwdocs commits (via the
gcc-cvs-wwwdocs list) do not appear to be happening right now.

Gerald

* Re: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-08 17:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 12:41:36AM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>The regular mailing lists appear to work after the migration, and
>you folks probably are still hacking on things right now, so I just
>wanted to note that notifications for wwwdocs commits (via the
>gcc-cvs-wwwdocs list) do not appear to be happening right now.

AFAIK, there is no reason why this wouldn't work.  I'd inspect the
git config on those directories to make sure it isn't somehow using
dependencies from the old system like qmail.

cgf

* Re: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-08 22:04   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Joseph S. Myers

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> The regular mailing lists appear to work after the migration, and
>> you folks probably are still hacking on things right now, so I just
>> wanted to note that notifications for wwwdocs commits (via the
>> gcc-cvs-wwwdocs list) do not appear to be happening right now.
> AFAIK, there is no reason why this wouldn't work.  I'd inspect the
> git config on those directories to make sure it isn't somehow using
> dependencies from the old system like qmail.

There definitely are several things not working properly as far as
our web page infrastructure goes:

- https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-cvs-wwwdocs/2020/date.html
  misses the last two commits:

commit 09a7a9579b59619ea3f601b821ec8b9dd3fe708e (HEAD -> master,
origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Date:   Sun Mar 8 00:28:23 2020 +0100

    Slightly shorten/simplify our notes on mailing list spam.

commit 8a562ce34e441587b87d5e5bc2ebb58f4ce630b9
Author: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Date:   Sat Mar 7 21:59:50 2020 +0100

    Represent mirror admins' addresses more consistently.

- gcc.gnu.org/spam.html misses the last commit.

Just to make sure, from here gcc.gnu.org has address 8.43.85.97 and
the system reports an uptime of 158 days (which seems a bit fishy)?

@ 2020-03-08 22:30     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> There definitely are several things not working properly as far as
> our web page infrastructure goes:
>
> - https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-cvs-wwwdocs/2020/date.html
>   misses the last two commits:
>
> commit 09a7a9579b59619ea3f601b821ec8b9dd3fe708e (HEAD -> master,
> commit 8a562ce34e441587b87d5e5bc2ebb58f4ce630b9

OK, will look into it, though the git-email processing is done
by the adacore hooks AIUI.

> - gcc.gnu.org/spam.html misses the last commit.
>
> Just to make sure, from here gcc.gnu.org has address 8.43.85.97 and
> the system reports an uptime of 158 days (which seems a bit fishy)?

That is correct - it is fantastic fish.

- FChE

* Re: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-09  3:33 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-09  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

> The regular mailing lists appear to work after the migration, and
> you folks probably are still hacking on things right now, so I just
> wanted to note that notifications for wwwdocs commits (via the
> gcc-cvs-wwwdocs list) do not appear to be happening right now.

The metahtml program needed to be lovingly fetched, built, and lightly
installed, and some git sharedrepository flags fixed; now at least one
can commit to gcc-wwwdocs.git and have it propagate.  I don't know if
that also fixes the notification emails tho.

- FChE

* gcc.gnu.org web site updates broken (was: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?)
@ 2020-03-09 12:18   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2020-03-09 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers, Joseph S. Myers

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> That is correct - it is fantastic fish.

Indeed. :-)

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> The metahtml program needed to be lovingly fetched, built, and lightly
> installed, and some git sharedrepository flags fixed; now at least one
> can commit to gcc-wwwdocs.git and have it propagate.

Thank you!

I tried to use this to regenerate all web pages and noticed that the
mhc command hangs without producing any output.

Tracing this a bit I observed that mhc consumes memory like crazy (I
killed it at 16 GB once, 40 GB another time) and there is a constant
set of invocations of brk().

A sample input file generated on the new server is at
~gccadmin/gerald.html.  Processing that with a local version
of MetaHTML 5.09 proceeds swiftly and with the desired output.

I see that you installed MetaHTML 6.11 which is not on the GNU servers.
To make sure we are looking at the same thing, where did you get that
from?

Bad news: installing the older version is difficult -- it required a
fair bit of hacks already ten years ago.  Yes, I have been working to
reduce dependencies on MetaHTML altogether.

Any chance you could copy over the working binary from the old machine?
Right now gcc.gnu.org cannot update any web pages.

@ 2020-03-09 14:05       ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-03-09 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > There definitely are several things not working properly as far as
> > our web page infrastructure goes:
> >
> > - https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-cvs-wwwdocs/2020/date.html
> >   misses the last two commits:
> >
> > commit 09a7a9579b59619ea3f601b821ec8b9dd3fe708e (HEAD -> master,
> > commit 8a562ce34e441587b87d5e5bc2ebb58f4ce630b9
>
> OK, will look into it, though the git-email processing is done
> by the adacore hooks AIUI.

No, wwwdocs uses its own post-receive hook (a symlink to
/www/gcc/wwwdocs-checkout/bin/post-receive - at some point the symlink had
somehow become a copy that was thus missing the last commit, I've now
restored the symlink).  That calls
/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/post-receive-email, which is missing on new
sourceware.  I don't know if other projects might be using
post-receive-email as well.

The logs (/www/gcc/updatelog) also show mhc segfaulting.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: gcc.gnu.org web site updates broken (was: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?)
@ 2020-03-09 14:14     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Joseph S. Myers

Hi -

> Bad news: installing the older version is difficult -- it required a
> fair bit of hacks already ten years ago.  Yes, I have been working to
> reduce dependencies on MetaHTML altogether.

Argh.

> Any chance you could copy over the working binary from the old machine?
> Right now gcc.gnu.org cannot update any web pages.

Will try that.  It failed gloriously for me earlier, but now is looking
better.

- FChE

* Re: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-09 17:59         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 02:05:51PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> > There definitely are several things not working properly as far as
>> > our web page infrastructure goes:
>> >
>> > - https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-cvs-wwwdocs/2020/date.html
>> >   misses the last two commits:
>> >
>> > commit 09a7a9579b59619ea3f601b821ec8b9dd3fe708e (HEAD -> master,
>> > commit 8a562ce34e441587b87d5e5bc2ebb58f4ce630b9
>>
>> OK, will look into it, though the git-email processing is done
>> by the adacore hooks AIUI.
>
>No, wwwdocs uses its own post-receive hook (a symlink to
>/www/gcc/wwwdocs-checkout/bin/post-receive - at some point the symlink had
>somehow become a copy that was thus missing the last commit, I've now
>restored the symlink).  That calls
>/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/post-receive-email, which is missing on new
>sourceware.  I don't know if other projects might be using
>post-receive-email as well.

That should be /sourceware/infra/bin/post-receive-email .  We removed
the libre in the new sourceware.  We didn't think that anyone was
actually using libre/...  stuff since most of the stuff in libre/...
is obsolete.

cgf

* Re: No more notifications of wwwdocs commits?
@ 2020-03-09 21:02           ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2020-03-09 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor via Overseers

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, Christopher Faylor via Overseers wrote:

> >No, wwwdocs uses its own post-receive hook (a symlink to
> >/www/gcc/wwwdocs-checkout/bin/post-receive - at some point the symlink had
> >somehow become a copy that was thus missing the last commit, I've now
> >restored the symlink).  That calls
> >/sourceware/libre/infra/bin/post-receive-email, which is missing on new
> >sourceware.  I don't know if other projects might be using
> >post-receive-email as well.
>
> That should be /sourceware/infra/bin/post-receive-email .  We removed
> the libre in the new sourceware.  We didn't think that anyone was
> actually using libre/...  stuff since most of the stuff in libre/...
> is obsolete.

I've updated the path and pushed a subsequent typo fix patch that
generated a commit email.  I think the libre/ path came from using
"locate" on sourceware to look for a suitable central copy of
post-receive-email to use.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com