* Rotating mailing list archives
@ 2021-01-14 14:10 Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2021-01-14 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I just noticed that the archive of the gcc-testresults list (and, I
assume many/all others) hasn't been rotated at the beginning of 2021:
there's still one common gcc-testresults.mbox file containing all
messages since the migration in early 2020.  The sheer size of the file
(3.0 GB) makes it increasingly unwieldly to handle; it would be good if
the archives could be rotated, perhaps in a way that one won't have to
resync the complete archive at the beginning of 2022 when
gcc-testresults.mbox is renamed to gcc-testresults-2021.mbox ;-)

Thanks.
	Rainer

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2021-01-14 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:10:08PM +0100, Rainer Orth wrote:
>I just noticed that the archive of the gcc-testresults list (and, I
>assume many/all others) hasn't been rotated at the beginning of 2021:
>there's still one common gcc-testresults.mbox file containing all
>messages since the migration in early 2020.  The sheer size of the file
>(3.0 GB) makes it increasingly unwieldly to handle; it would be good if
>the archives could be rotated, perhaps in a way that one won't have to
>resync the complete archive at the beginning of 2022 when
>gcc-testresults.mbox is renamed to gcc-testresults-2021.mbox ;-)

AFAIK, mailing lists aren't rotated automatically.  Any old date-based
mboxes that you see come from the old ezmlm mailling list software.

* Re: Rotating mailing list archives
@ 2021-01-14 21:58   ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2021-01-14 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi Christopher,

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:10:08PM +0100, Rainer Orth wrote:
>>I just noticed that the archive of the gcc-testresults list (and, I
>>assume many/all others) hasn't been rotated at the beginning of 2021:
>>there's still one common gcc-testresults.mbox file containing all
>>messages since the migration in early 2020.  The sheer size of the file
>>(3.0 GB) makes it increasingly unwieldly to handle; it would be good if
>>the archives could be rotated, perhaps in a way that one won't have to
>>resync the complete archive at the beginning of 2022 when
>>gcc-testresults.mbox is renamed to gcc-testresults-2021.mbox ;-)
>
> AFAIK, mailing lists aren't rotated automatically.  Any old date-based
> mboxes that you see come from the old ezmlm mailling list software.

I see.  However, could it be done?  As I said, the current archive size
is becoming unpleasant to handle.

Thanks.
        Rainer

@ 2021-01-15 21:48     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2021-01-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> I see.  However, could it be done?  As I said, the current archive size
> is becoming unpleasant to handle.

Yeah, I just renamed the current .mbox under a new name, and that worked.
We should probably install a cron job to rotate these .mbox files yearly.

- FChE