* A problem when trying to sign up for the binutils mailing list
       [not found] <rt-4.2.16-14-g9a593ee-783-1647871701-1880.1819623-8-0@rt.gnu.org>
@ 2022-03-21 14:50 ` Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2022-03-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Alan Matsuoka

Hi Guys,

   A problem has been reported when trying to use the gnu.org binutils[1]
   web page to subscribe to a mailing list.  The "Send in the request"
   button results in a '404 not found' message.

   I checked the html for the page and it tries to initiate an action with:

     https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/ml-request

   Looking in the cgi-bin directory I see that this script is no longer
   present.  (Although a ml-request.orig and ml-request~ files are present).

   Has the feature been removed/deprecated, or should the ml-request still
   exist ?

Cheers
   Nick

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils

Problem Ticket: gnu.org #1819623

* Re: A problem when trying to sign up for the binutils mailing list
@ 2022-03-21 15:00   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2022-03-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/21/22 10:50, Nick Clifton via Overseers wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>   A problem has been reported when trying to use the gnu.org binutils[1]
>   web page to subscribe to a mailing list.  The "Send in the request"
>   button results in a '404 not found' message.
>
>   I checked the html for the page and it tries to initiate an action with:
>
>     https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/ml-request
>
>   Looking in the cgi-bin directory I see that this script is no longer
>   present.  (Although a ml-request.orig and ml-request~ files are present).
>
>   Has the feature been removed/deprecated, or should the ml-request still
>   exist ?

There are other cgi-bin binaries we run on sourceware, but this particular
one was not setup again after the last transition.

For glibc I switched to linking directly the mailman listinfo page:

e.g.
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/started.html

It avoids needing a cgi-bin to register mailing list requests and more
directly exposes the user to our mailing lists which is good IMO since
they can see the archive page, and set more parameters for their subscription.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

@ 2022-03-22  2:16     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2022-03-22  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:00:47AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>On 3/21/22 10:50, Nick Clifton via Overseers wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>>   A problem has been reported when trying to use the gnu.org binutils[1]
>>   web page to subscribe to a mailing list.  The "Send in the request"
>>   button results in a '404 not found' message.
>>
>>   I checked the html for the page and it tries to initiate an action with:
>>
>>     https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/ml-request
>>
>>   Looking in the cgi-bin directory I see that this script is no longer
>>   present.  (Although a ml-request.orig and ml-request~ files are present).
>>
>>   Has the feature been removed/deprecated, or should the ml-request still
>>   exist ?
>
>There are other cgi-bin binaries we run on sourceware, but this particular
>one was not setup again after the last transition.

That particular one was ezmlm-only.  We're a mailman shop now.

>For glibc I switched to linking directly the mailman listinfo page:
>
>e.g.
>http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/started.html

>It avoids needing a cgi-bin to register mailing list requests and more
>directly exposes the user to our mailing lists which is good IMO since
>they can see the archive page, and set more parameters for their subscription.

Right.  Just point to the right page for subscribing to the mailing list in question.

cgf