* Help with git write access.
@ 2023-05-18 13:09 Georg-Johann Lay
From: Georg-Johann Lay @ 2023-05-18 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

since quite some time now I did not make changes to the GCC repo.
The last time was actually under SVN and with a different PC.

Following https://gcc.gnu.org/gitwrite.html I set up the remote

url = git+ssh://gjl@gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

My MAINTAINERS status is "Write after Approval", and I have
signed a copyright assignment around 2010 and did quite some
changes to the AVR realm.

So I have a bunch of questions and need some help.

1. Setting up git+ssh
=====================

The gitwrite page mentions ssh-agent and ssh-add to be used
to set up secure connection, but I can't figure out the
options that I have to provide the these tools.

I am on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS, Linux 5.11.0-27-generic, x86-64.

Could you walk me through the exact process please to set up
ssh and git properly?

2. How to commit / push
=======================

This was easy under SVN, but with git there are much more ways
to shoot ones knees or violate policies.  If possible I would
fuse all my commits for one PR to a single stage so that my
local commit history won't show up on the remote.  Is there
a wiki or tutorial on the exact steps to use for GCC?

3. ChangeLogs
=============

As far as I understand, ChangeLogs are now auto-extracted from
git logs.  In the old days, I would prepend the folder to
which the changelog will go to the actual changelog entry like:

gcc/
<tab>* gcc.cc: Fix typo.

Is that enough so the tools find their way to gcc/ChangeLog?

Thank you so much,

Johann

* Re: Help with git write access.
@ 2023-05-18 13:22 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2023-05-18 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> [...]
> So I have a bunch of questions and need some help.

It sounds like you've found <https://gcc.gnu.org/gitwrite.html>, and
further questions with project-specific advice should go to
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org>.  (Overseers can help with ssh key authentication
issues.)

- FChE