* gcc bugzilla
@ 2023-11-30  5:14 Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2023-11-30  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

When I try to go to https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ (e.g. following the
bug data base link from the gcc .homepage), I get web page with an
error message:

Software error:

Can't connect to the database.
Error: Too many connections
  Is your database installed and up and running?
  Do you have the correct username and password selected in localconfig?

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (root@localhost), giving
this error message and the time and date of the error.

* Re: gcc bugzilla (and patchwork)
@ 2023-11-30  8:12 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-11-30  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Overseers; +Cc: Joern Rennecke, patchwork-admin

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 05:14:04AM +0000, Joern Rennecke via Overseers wrote:
> When I try to go to https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ (e.g. following the
> bug data base link from the gcc .homepage), I get web page with an
> error message:
>
> Software error:
>
> Can't connect to the database.
> Error: Too many connections

bugzilla and patchwork seem to have been hit by some agressive bots.
I put blocks for ip ranges belonging to msnbot, bot@semrush.com and
sogouspider on our block.include list.

Things should work again.

We do have to look at the logging/warning reporting of patchwork. It
sent an email for each failing request to the admins, which wasn't fun
and made matters worse by sending thousands of emails from the
overloaded system.

Cheers,

Mark