* SSH access no longer working for user `macro'
@ 2019-05-14 15:13 Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2019-05-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

 I've had my `macro' account for years if not decades at `sourceware.org',
`gcc.gnu.org', however it has stopped working sometime between last week
and today.  I've had SSH protocol version 1 forced for these hosts since
time immemorial for some reason I no longer remember, and now I get:

Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2

when I try to connect, e.g. to pull from a repository.  Conversely if I
remove the version 1 override from my setup, then my private key is
refused for authentication, which is also why I had to downgrade my SSH
client at my last hardware/OS upgrade to keep support for protocol version
1 so as to be able to log into `sourceware.org', `gcc.gnu.org'.

 Please help.

  Maciej

* Re: SSH access no longer working for user `macro'
@ 2019-05-14 16:00 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2019-05-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki, overseers

On 5/14/19 11:12 AM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've had my `macro' account for years if not decades at `sourceware.org',
> `gcc.gnu.org', however it has stopped working sometime between last week
> and today.  I've had SSH protocol version 1 forced for these hosts since
> time immemorial for some reason I no longer remember, and now I get:
>
> Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2

Sourceware only supports protocol version 2.

> when I try to connect, e.g. to pull from a repository.  Conversely if I
> remove the version 1 override from my setup, then my private key is
> refused for authentication, which is also why I had to downgrade my SSH
> client at my last hardware/OS upgrade to keep support for protocol version
> 1 so as to be able to log into `sourceware.org', `gcc.gnu.org'.

Your key is an unsupported RSA1 key.

You need to regenerate a new RSA (not RSA1) key.

I can help you with this step, and help install your new
public key on sourceare.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: SSH access no longer working for user `macro'
@ 2019-05-14 16:29   ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2019-05-14 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers

Hi Carlos! :)

> > when I try to connect, e.g. to pull from a repository.  Conversely if I
> > remove the version 1 override from my setup, then my private key is
> > refused for authentication, which is also why I had to downgrade my SSH
> > client at my last hardware/OS upgrade to keep support for protocol version
> > 1 so as to be able to log into `sourceware.org', `gcc.gnu.org'.
>
> Your key is an unsupported RSA1 key.

 Well, my key dates back to 2002 AFAICT, and presumably corresponds to
what was supported back then at sourceware.  It also happens to be my only
key that is RSA1 and I have older keys that are RSA2.

> I can help you with this step, and help install your new
> public key on sourceare.

 I've got a new key pair generated now, how do I install my new public key
then?

 Thanks,

@ 2019-05-14 19:47     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2019-05-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: overseers

On 5/14/19 12:29 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Hi Carlos! :)
>
>>> when I try to connect, e.g. to pull from a repository.  Conversely if I
>>> remove the version 1 override from my setup, then my private key is
>>> refused for authentication, which is also why I had to downgrade my SSH
>>> client at my last hardware/OS upgrade to keep support for protocol version
>>> 1 so as to be able to log into `sourceware.org', `gcc.gnu.org'.
>>
>> Your key is an unsupported RSA1 key.
>
>  Well, my key dates back to 2002 AFAICT, and presumably corresponds to
> what was supported back then at sourceware.  It also happens to be my only
> key that is RSA1 and I have older keys that are RSA2.
>
>> I can help you with this step, and help install your new
>> public key on sourceare.
>
>  I've got a new key pair generated now, how do I install my new public key
> then?

I'm taking this off list and will work with Maciej to complete his account
setup.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.