* Moving buildbot master to sourceware
@ 2022-04-04 10:02 Mark Wielaard
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2022-04-04 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers
  Cc: Julian Seward, Thomas Fitzsimmons, Dan Horák,
	Martin Liška, Dodji Seketeli, Philip Herron,
	Sergio Durigan Junior

Hi,

For several years now I have been running the buildbot master for
various sourceware projects (bzip2, debugedit, dwz, elfutils,
libabigail, valgrind and gccrs - that last one not actually on
sourceware yet, but we'll get there eventually) on
https://builder.wildebeest.org/buildbot/

I would like to move this officially to sourceware now to make working
on this together easier and to see if we can extend the service to
other sourceware projects and see if we can get more workers. e.g. in
the past Sergio ran a separate buildbot for gdb which we might merge
together. One future integration idea would be to add buildbot
triggers for patchwork to test out proposed patches before they are
integrated.

Maintenance of the master is fairly minimal and it doesn't require
that many resources. The current state database, git poller and build
logs total less than 3.5G for hundreds to thousands of builds for all
of the above projects.

The bike shed items for installing this on sourceware are:

- Whether to install buildbot from pip or epel. My preference is
  throug pip under a user account since that is how I run it
  locally. But using the epel package is fine too.
- Running it under sourceware.org/buildbot or adding a vhost
  builder.sourceware.org. My preference is for a vhost.
- A git repo for the master.cfg file builder.git (*)
  Plus a git trigger to reload to config by the buildbot master.
- A user, group and homedir to store the state and password/key files
  /sourceware/home/builder/
- The initial members of the builder group which can update the git
  repo and key files. The people on CC?
  simply use the overseers mailinglist.

(*) The master.cfg file is actually a python script, and I am slightly
    embarrased by it. It would be great if someone with a bit more python
    experience could refactor it so that the Builder setups aren't just
    done by copy/paste tens of identical lines.

Once setup the real work is on the projects using the buildbot to
define and coordinating with the volunteers running the buildbot
workers in case there is some issue that cannot be explained by the
buildbot test run. This can in general be done directly between the
project maintainers and the buildbot worker volunteers, who can also
provide direct access to their setups. But it would be good to have a
central list to coordinate such issues.

There are currently the following 10 workers:
- centos-x86_64, debian-amd64, debian-i386, fedora-x86_64
  Ran by me as kvm libvirt instances.
- debian-ppc64 ran by Thomas Fitzsimmons
- fedora-ppc64 and fedora-ppc64le ran by Dan Horák
  thanks to the Brno University
- fedora-s390x Ran by Dan Horák
  thanks to the Marist University
- debian-arm64 and debian-armhf small boards ran by me.

I am also in the process of setting up a Ryzen9 machine with 3 extra
VMs using Fedora CoreOS that can run container images using Podman. It
does need a workaround for a small docker/podman incompatibility
https://github.com/containers/podman/issues/11668 But once it works it
could be a model of extending the workers in a simpler way, where the
container images are defined together with the master to give project
maintainers more flexibility in their testing environment.

Let me know what you think and whether you have ideas for getting more
worker machines.

Cheers,

Mark