* write access to src
@ 2008-03-10 19:06 Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2008-03-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini

Hello overseers,

sponsored by Paolo Bonzini (Cc:ed), I would like to ask for write
access to the src repository.  I already have an account, rwild,
on sourceware.org, and write access to GCC, and have some patches
that concern both trees.  I have copyright assignment on file for
GCC but not for binutils, but at this point all I plan to do is
ensure changes applied to GCC are synced to src.

One question though: is it expected that people with write access
read some mailing lists?  Would that be <binutils@sourceware.org>?

Thank you for your efforts.

Cheers,
Ralf

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-10 19:29 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-03-10 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Paolo Bonzini, Ralf Wildenhues; +Cc: dj

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:42:43PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>Hello overseers,
>
>sponsored by Paolo Bonzini (Cc:ed), I would like to ask for write
>access to the src repository.  I already have an account, rwild,
>on sourceware.org, and write access to GCC, and have some patches
>that concern both trees.  I have copyright assignment on file for
>GCC but not for binutils, but at this point all I plan to do is
>ensure changes applied to GCC are synced to src.

I thought we already had people doing that, e.g., DJ Delorie.

cgf

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-10 19:36   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2008-03-10 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, bonzini, Ralf.Wildenhues

> >GCC but not for binutils, but at this point all I plan to do is
> >ensure changes applied to GCC are synced to src.
>
> I thought we already had people doing that, e.g., DJ Delorie.

I robo-sync libiberty, include, intl, and libdecnumber.

The toplevel build configury and config/ I *watch* but my scripts
don't merge them; neither project has been willing to cede
responsibility for those to the other, so there's more manual
intervention required.

I usually use those script results to ask the patch committer to apply
it to the other repo if possible - sometimes they can, other times
they realize that they're not operating in a vaccuum.  Either result
is good ;-) Most committers can find someone to apply the patch for
them; having one person designated as the patch monkey[*] for this
would certainly streamline the process.

There are days I'm tempted to say "screw it, let them fall out of
sync" but building from a combined tree is still too popular to give
up.

We certainly could use more *active* configury support, too.  I know
I'm swamped with other projects.  Paolo has been doing most of the
work, and I haven't seen much from Alex or Nathanael recently either.
It's not a glamorous job.  If Ralf works out, I'd be willing to hand
my duties over to him, too.  He can be "merge king" ("sync king"
sounds too much like "sinking", and "sync master" sounds like a rap
group).

[*] Not trying to belittle Ralf, just pointing out how unglamorous the
    job is.  And "patch monkey" is just fun to say :-)

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-12 19:23   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2008-03-12 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Paolo Bonzini, Ralf Wildenhues, dj

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:42:43PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> Hello overseers,
>>
>> sponsored by Paolo Bonzini (Cc:ed), I would like to ask for write
>> access to the src repository.  I already have an account, rwild,
>> on sourceware.org, and write access to GCC, and have some patches
>> that concern both trees.  I have copyright assignment on file for
>> GCC but not for binutils, but at this point all I plan to do is
>> ensure changes applied to GCC are synced to src.
>
> I thought we already had people doing that, e.g., DJ Delorie.

 From private mail exchanged with Ralf, he means to ensure *his* changed
applied to GCC are synced to src.  Build maintainers including me and DJ
do this for people who don't have write access to src, but if they plan
to submit other patches to the shared parts they are usually granted
access to src.

Right now, it's me who does most commits to the shared parts, but Ralf
has also been doing some bugfixing since he's maintainer of the
autotools upstream.

Paolo

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-12 20:32     ` Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2008-03-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, DJ Delorie, Paolo Bonzini

Hello,

* DJ Delorie wrote on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:29:28PM CET:

> The toplevel build configury and config/ I *watch* but my scripts
> don't merge them; neither project has been willing to cede
> responsibility for those to the other, so there's more manual
> intervention required.
[...]
> We certainly could use more *active* configury support, too.  I know
> I'm swamped with other projects.  Paolo has been doing most of the
> work, and I haven't seen much from Alex or Nathanael recently either.
> It's not a glamorous job.  If Ralf works out, I'd be willing to hand
> my duties over to him, too.  He can be "merge king" [...]

I don't mind doing non-glamorous jobs, but as I don't yet even know what
duties exactly are concerned, I'm not qualified to comment on this.

* Paolo Bonzini wrote on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:35:56PM CET:

> From private mail exchanged with Ralf, he means to ensure *his* changed
> applied to GCC are synced to src.  Build maintainers including me and DJ
> do this for people who don't have write access to src, but if they plan
> to submit other patches to the shared parts they are usually granted
> access to src.

Indeed ATM all I wanted was to push less work to Paolo or DJ for some
patches of mine.

FWIW, I hope there to be more of them.  Maybe I'll even try moving GCC
and src to use newer autotools sometime (including persuading developers
on both sides that this is a good thing).

I have no problem signing papers for binutils in case that helps, and I
certainly don't mind if you ask for some trust-building measure before
allowing me write access.  I'd prefer to know what you expect.

Anyway, my issue at hand is that I have two approved patches
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-03/msg00110.html>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-03/msg00574.html>
which concern GCC and src and would like to know how to proceed, i.e.,
whether to send the src versions of the patches to Paolo or not.

Thank you,
Ralf

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-12 21:56       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2008-03-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Wildenhues; +Cc: overseers, DJ Delorie

> I have no problem signing papers for binutils in case that helps, and I
> certainly don't mind if you ask for some trust-building measure before
> allowing me write access.  I'd prefer to know what you expect.

I think that traditionally sponsoring has been enough.  I was sponsored
by Nathanael Nerode and I don't have BINUTILS papers signed myself.

Paolo

* Re: write access to src
@ 2008-03-13 22:49       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-03-13 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)