* If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01  5:46 Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-12-01  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Could you be kind enough to install graphviz on sources?
RPMS are at http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/

You just need the graphviz*.i386.rpm RPMS, not webfonts or webdot.

It's used for dependency graphing in bugzilla.
Currently, bugzilla uses my web server's public webdot interface, which
is getting to be a bit of a load on my connection (Bugzilla has the
option of using a locally installed graphviz, or a public webdot
server, for generating the graphs).

Thanks,
Dan

* Re: If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01  6:37 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-12-01  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: overseers

Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:

> Could you be kind enough to install graphviz on sources?
> RPMS are at http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/
>
> You just need the graphviz*.i386.rpm RPMS, not webfonts or webdot.

Let's not give RMS *another* reason to complain about non-free
software use on gcc.gnu.org, eh?  Isn't there a free clone somewhere?

zw

* Re: If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01  7:04   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-12-01  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, overseers

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:37:34PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> writes:
>
> > Could you be kind enough to install graphviz on sources?
> > RPMS are at http://www.graphviz.org/pub/graphviz/
> >
> > You just need the graphviz*.i386.rpm RPMS, not webfonts or webdot.
>
> Let's not give RMS *another* reason to complain about non-free
> software use on gcc.gnu.org, eh?  Isn't there a free clone somewhere?

Not that I've found.  Last I looked, nobody out there has been sufficientky
motivated to reimplement all of graphviz just because the code wasn't
free enough.  After all, it's big, and at&t keeps adding to it.

Graphviz (well, the dot subprogram) is what Doxygen uses to generate its
inheritance and dependancy graphs.  We've been over this before...

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-02/msg00946.html

When Debian started throwing a fit over the requirement of graphviz to
create the libstdc++ graphs, I told them:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2002/debian-gcc-200211/msg00164.html

If RMS wants to provide a public webdot server, then we don't need graphviz.
If RMS can point to a tool that does as good a job as graphviz, that bugzilla
knows how to work with, and that's Free Enough, then we don't need graphviz.

Phil

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

* Re: If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01 10:45     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-12-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: Zack Weinberg, Daniel Berlin, overseers

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Phil Edwards wrote:
>> Let's not give RMS *another* reason to complain about non-free
>> software use on gcc.gnu.org, eh?  Isn't there a free clone somewhere?
> If RMS wants to provide a public webdot server, then we don't need graphviz.
> If RMS can point to a tool that does as good a job as graphviz, that bugzilla
> knows how to work with, and that's Free Enough, then we don't need graphviz.

This is not the point (from the point of view of RMS and the FSF).

I second Zack here: please do not install/use a non-free package on
gcc.gnu.org or it will become yet a bit harder for me (and others) to
argue in favor of keeping the current setup on gcc.gnu.org the next time
this topic comes up -- and come up it will!

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01 14:48       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-12-01 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Phil Edwards, overseers, Zack Weinberg

On Dec 1, 2003, at 5:45 AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Phil Edwards wrote:
>>> Let's not give RMS *another* reason to complain about non-free
>>> software use on gcc.gnu.org, eh?  Isn't there a free clone somewhere?
>> If RMS wants to provide a public webdot server, then we don't need
>> graphviz.
>> If RMS can point to a tool that does as good a job as graphviz, that
>> bugzilla
>> knows how to work with, and that's Free Enough, then we don't need
>> graphviz.
>
> This is not the point (from the point of view of RMS and the FSF).
>
> I second Zack here: please do not install/use a non-free package on
> gcc.gnu.org or it will become yet a bit harder for me (and others) to
> argue in favor of keeping the current setup on gcc.gnu.org the next
> time
> this topic comes up -- and come up it will!

As you wish.
I'll simply keep it using my webdot server.

* Re: If somebody gets a chance
@ 2003-12-01 14:54       ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-12-01 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Phil Edwards, overseers, Zack Weinberg

On Dec 1, 2003, at 5:45 AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Phil Edwards wrote:
>>> Let's not give RMS *another* reason to complain about non-free
>>> software use on gcc.gnu.org, eh?  Isn't there a free clone somewhere?
>> If RMS wants to provide a public webdot server, then we don't need
>> graphviz.
>> If RMS can point to a tool that does as good a job as graphviz, that
>> bugzilla
>> knows how to work with, and that's Free Enough, then we don't need
>> graphviz.
>
> This is not the point (from the point of view of RMS and the FSF).
>
> I second Zack here: please do not install/use a non-free package on
> gcc.gnu.org or it will become yet a bit harder for me (and others) to
> argue in favor of keeping the current setup on gcc.gnu.org the next
> time
> this topic comes up -- and come up it will!

Of course, the other option is for someone to make it use GD::Graph or
something.
It's not like the cute little dependency graphs are all *that* tricky.
Or i'll just disable the functionality FTM.