* Change my email address
@ 2010-03-11 16:40 Tobias Grosser
       [not found] ` <30672_1268579625_4B9CFD29_30672_6006_1_m3aaub7x7s.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2010-03-11 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi,

I would like to change my grosser@gcc.gnu.org email address to:
gcc@web-wahnsinn.de

I did not find a way to do this on the website or using SSH. Can you
give me a hint how to achieve this?

Thanks a lot

Tobias

* Re: Change my email address
@ 2010-03-14 15:13 ` Ian Lance Taylor
       [not found] ` <30672_1268579625_4B9CFD29_30672_6006_1_m3aaub7x7s.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-03-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Grosser; +Cc: overseers

Tobias Grosser <grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> writes:

> I would like to change my grosser@gcc.gnu.org email address to:
> gcc@web-wahnsinn.de
>
> I did not find a way to do this on the website or using SSH. Can you
> give me a hint how to achieve this?

ssh grosser@gcc.gnu.org email gcc@web-wahnsinn.de

Ian

* Re: Change my email address
       [not found] ` <30672_1268579625_4B9CFD29_30672_6006_1_m3aaub7x7s.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
@ 2010-03-18 15:16   ` Tobias Grosser
       [not found]     ` <8272_1268932538_4BA25FB9_8272_1383_1_m3pr3160ny.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2010-03-18 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 03/14/2010 04:13 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Tobias Grosser<grosser@fim.uni-passau.de>  writes:
>
>> I would like to change my grosser@gcc.gnu.org email address to:
>> gcc@web-wahnsinn.de
>>
>> I did not find a way to do this on the website or using SSH. Can you
>> give me a hint how to achieve this?
>
> ssh grosser@gcc.gnu.org email gcc@web-wahnsinn.de

Thanks Ian, this works.

However I still have problems to recieve confirmation mails from paypal
using this address. Do you know if there is any email filter on the
gcc.gnu.org email forwarder?

Thanks

Tobi

* Re: Change my email address
@ 2010-03-18 17:15     ` Ian Lance Taylor
       [not found]     ` <8272_1268932538_4BA25FB9_8272_1383_1_m3pr3160ny.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-03-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Grosser; +Cc: overseers

Tobias Grosser <grosser@fim.uni-passau.de> writes:

> However I still have problems to recieve confirmation mails from
> paypal using this address. Do you know if there is any email filter on
> the gcc.gnu.org email forwarder?

There are a lot of filters on gcc.gnu.org e-mail, as the system gets an
enormous amount of spam.  Since many spam messages purport to be from
paypal, I would not be surprised if real paypal messages are getting
filtered out.  I'm not sure what the best option is here.

Ian

* Re: Change my email address
       [not found]     ` <8272_1268932538_4BA25FB9_8272_1383_1_m3pr3160ny.fsf@pepe.airs.com>
@ 2010-03-18 17:23       ` Tobias Grosser
       [not found]         ` <8272_1268940769_4BA27FE0_8272_2251_1_20100318193241.GA10599@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2010-03-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On 03/18/2010 05:43 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Tobias Grosser<grosser@fim.uni-passau.de>  writes:
>
>> However I still have problems to recieve confirmation mails from
>> paypal using this address. Do you know if there is any email filter on
>> the gcc.gnu.org email forwarder?
>
> There are a lot of filters on gcc.gnu.org e-mail, as the system gets an
> enormous amount of spam.  Since many spam messages purport to be from
> paypal, I would not be surprised if real paypal messages are getting
> filtered out.  I'm not sure what the best option is here.

I did not expect this. I thought as this is just a forwarder everybody
could use their own spam filters.

Who is controlling the filters? Or is there a way to disable them for a
specific account?

It seems they do not work for me. Unfortunately I used this email
address to create a paypal account where I already received some money.
At the moment I am unable to confirm this email address as all mail from
paypal is blocked.

It would be nice if there is an option to either disable the filter or
just mark the mails as spam, but not silently drop the mail.
In the current form the email address does not seem to be very reliable.

Thanks a lot for your help

Tobias

* Re: Change my email address
@ 2010-03-18 19:32         ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]         ` <8272_1268940769_4BA27FE0_8272_2251_1_20100318193241.GA10599@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-03-18 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Tobias Grosser

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:24:14PM +0100, Tobias Grosser wrote:
>On 03/18/2010 05:43 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> Tobias Grosser<grosser@fim.uni-passau.de>  writes:
>>
>>> However I still have problems to recieve confirmation mails from
>>> paypal using this address. Do you know if there is any email filter on
>>> the gcc.gnu.org email forwarder?
>>
>> There are a lot of filters on gcc.gnu.org e-mail, as the system gets an
>> enormous amount of spam.  Since many spam messages purport to be from
>> paypal, I would not be surprised if real paypal messages are getting
>> filtered out.  I'm not sure what the best option is here.
>
>I did not expect this. I thought as this is just a forwarder everybody
>could use their own spam filters.

Yes we're blocking email from (service|support|aw-confirm)\@paypal\.com
at the smtp level.

I think you had a misconception if you were under the impression that
the email forwarding was intended to provide you with a general place to
perform Internet business.

paypal is one of many email addresses that are specifically blocked for
just the reason that Ian suggests.  We get a lot of fake paypal traffic
and, unless someone from paypal is using gcc, binutils, etc.  there is
no reason for them to be sending email here.

>Who is controlling the filters? Or is there a way to disable them for a
>specific account?

I do and no.

Your "account" is intended for you to be able to submit to a particular
project.  It isn't a general login/email account.

cgf

* Re: Change my email address
       [not found]         ` <8272_1268940769_4BA27FE0_8272_2251_1_20100318193241.GA10599@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2010-03-18 20:03           ` Tobias Grosser
From: Tobias Grosser @ 2010-03-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi Christopher,

nice to get to read the guy who is managing some of the infrastructure
we use. Thanks for your work!

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:24:14PM +0100, Tobias Grosser wrote:

>>> There are a lot of filters on gcc.gnu.org e-mail, as the system gets an
>>> enormous amount of spam.  Since many spam messages purport to be from
>>> paypal, I would not be surprised if real paypal messages are getting
>>> filtered out.  I'm not sure what the best option is here.
>>
>> I did not expect this. I thought as this is just a forwarder everybody
>> could use their own spam filters.
>
> Yes we're blocking email from (service|support|aw-confirm)\@paypal\.com
> at the smtp level.
>
> I think you had a misconception if you were under the impression that
> the email forwarding was intended to provide you with a general place to
> perform Internet business.

OK. I never thought about doing internet business using my gcc.gnu.org
address. I just use it sometimes for gcc related stuff. This time I
needed an address to get reimbursed for a conference (Google SoC mentors
summit) that I attended as member of the gcc community. The FSF, who
helped me with the transfer, asked for a paypal account.
Without thinking a lot I used my gcc.gnu.org address.

> paypal is one of many email addresses that are specifically blocked for
> just the reason that Ian suggests.  We get a lot of fake paypal traffic
> and, unless someone from paypal is using gcc, binutils, etc.  there is
> no reason for them to be sending email here.

This makes sense. It was just unexpected and it cost me a while to
figure out that mails are filtered.

>> Who is controlling the filters? Or is there a way to disable them for a
>> specific account?
>
> I do and no.
>
> Your "account" is intended for you to be able to submit to a particular
> project.  It isn't a general login/email account.

What does this mean? Not use the email account at all, only use it as an
account for the mailing list or also for other things related to gcc?

I was not aware of any specific restrictions and used it where it seemed
reasonable for me.

Thanks for your explanation. I will probably just ask the guys from the
FSF to cancel the payment and use another email address where I can
receive paypal email.

Cheers

Tobias