* Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-13  9:02 Nicholas Clifton
From: Nicholas Clifton @ 2014-06-13  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold, overseers

Hi Tristan,

   The 2.24 binutils release tarball on the sourceware FTP site appears
to be woefully out of date.  As do the weekly snapshots.  It is as if
they were still being made from the CVS repository rather than the GIT
repository.  Is there anything that we can do about this ?

Cheers
   Nick

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-13  9:12 ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2014-06-13  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Clifton; +Cc: overseers

On 13 Jun 2014, at 11:02, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Tristan,
>
>  The 2.24 binutils release tarball on the sourceware FTP site appears to be woefully out of date.  As do the weekly snapshots.  It is as if they were still being made from the CVS repository rather than the GIT repository.  Is there anything that we can do about this ?

Hello,

Argh.  But I have no idea on how the snapshots are built.  I access to sourceware only to download pre-releases and releases.

Will see with Joel, he may have some ideas about that.

Tristan.

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-13  9:54 ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2014-06-13  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Clifton, Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On 13 Jun 2014, at 11:02, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Tristan,
>
>  The 2.24 binutils release tarball on the sourceware FTP site appears to be woefully out of date.  As do the weekly snapshots.  It is as if they were still being made from the CVS repository rather than the GIT repository.  Is there anything that we can do about this ?

Hello,

the script is currently owned by Ian.

I don't know if snapshots are that useful (apparently not), so maybe we could simply switch snapshots off.

Cheers,
Tristan.

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-13 13:22   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-06-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold; +Cc: Nicholas Clifton, overseers

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2014, at 11:02, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tristan,
>>
>>  The 2.24 binutils release tarball on the sourceware FTP site appears to be woefully out of date.  As do the weekly snapshots.  It is as if they were still being made from the CVS repository rather than the GIT repository.  Is there anything that we can do about this ?
>
> Hello,
>
> the script is currently owned by Ian.
>
> I don't know if snapshots are that useful (apparently not), so maybe we could simply switch snapshots off.

If we want to keep snapshots going, I guess we need to update the
three CVS commands in /home/ian/bin/binutils-cvs-snapshot:

    cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P binutils
    cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P -r $tagname binutils
    cvs -Q tag -R -F binutils_latest_snapshot .

Anybody want to send me the git equivalents?

Or we could just turn off the snapshots.

Ian

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-13 14:06     ` Nicholas Clifton
From: Nicholas Clifton @ 2014-06-13 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Tristan Gingold; +Cc: overseers

Hi Ian,

> If we want to keep snapshots going, I guess we need to update the
> three CVS commands in /home/ian/bin/binutils-cvs-snapshot:
>
>     cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P binutils
>     cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P -r $tagname binutils
>     cvs -Q tag -R -F binutils_latest_snapshot .
>
> Anybody want to send me the git equivalents?

I think that this should work:

   git archive --format tar -o binutils_latest_snapshot HEAD

   git tag -a -f -m "binutils latest snapshot" binutils_latest_snapshot HEAD

@ 2014-06-16  7:16       ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2014-06-16  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Clifton, Joel Brobecker; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On 13 Jun 2014, at 16:06, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
>> If we want to keep snapshots going, I guess we need to update the
>> three CVS commands in /home/ian/bin/binutils-cvs-snapshot:
>>
>>    cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P binutils
>>    cvs -d /cvs/src -Q co -P -r $tagname binutils
>>    cvs -Q tag -R -F binutils_latest_snapshot .
>>
>> Anybody want to send me the git equivalents?
>
> I think that this should work:
>
>  git archive --format tar -o binutils_latest_snapshot HEAD
>
>  git tag -a -f -m "binutils latest snapshot" binutils_latest_snapshot HEAD

OTOH, given that binutils and gdb share the same repo, maybe the gdb snapshots
are also binutils snapshots ?

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-17 11:26         ` Nicholas Clifton
From: Nicholas Clifton @ 2014-06-17 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold, Joel Brobecker; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

Hi Tristan,

> OTOH, given that binutils and gdb share the same repo, maybe the gdb snapshots
> are also binutils snapshots ?

Except that the GDB snapshots do not include BINUTILS or GAS or GOLD or
LD...

@ 2014-06-17 13:33           ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-06-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Clifton; +Cc: Tristan Gingold, Joel Brobecker, overseers

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Tristan,
>

>> OTOH, given that binutils and gdb share the same repo, maybe the gdb
>> snapshots
>> are also binutils snapshots ?
>

> Except that the GDB snapshots do not include BINUTILS or GAS or GOLD or
> LD...

In any case I think the binutils snapshots are working again.

Ian

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-17 13:37             ` Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2014-06-17 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Nicholas Clifton, Joel Brobecker, overseers

On 17 Jun 2014, at 15:33, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Nicholas Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Tristan,
>>

>>> OTOH, given that binutils and gdb share the same repo, maybe the gdb
>>> snapshots
>>> are also binutils snapshots ?
>>

>> Except that the GDB snapshots do not include BINUTILS or GAS or GOLD or
>> LD...
>
> In any case I think the binutils snapshots are working again.

Thanks!

* Re: Binutils FTP releases & snapshots out of date
@ 2014-06-17 14:35             ` Nicholas Clifton
From: Nicholas Clifton @ 2014-06-17 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Tristan Gingold, Joel Brobecker, overseers

Hi Ian,

> In any case I think the binutils snapshots are working again.

Great - thanks very much.

Cheers
   Nick