From: Claudio Bantaloukas <claudio.bantaloukas@arm.com>
To: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>,
	Claudio Bantaloukas via Overseers <overseers@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Considerations on a gitlab-style forge
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:17:05 +0100	[thread overview]

On 4/10/2024 2:57 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>
> On Tue, 2024-04-09 at 09:35 +0000, Claudio Bantaloukas via Overseers
> wrote:
>> I recently read your emails in the binutils mailing list and, since feedback was requested, here's some.
>> I miss the high level feature caleld pull requests in github and merge requests in gitlab.  For licensing reasons these two projects are not ok.
>> I just saw https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/
>> Have the overseers considered adding https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea or its fork https://forgejo.org/  ?
>
> Sort answer, no. But that doesn't mean it cannot happen.
> Longer answer is that different people have different ideas about what
> a "pull-request model" precisely is. In general since most core
> toolchain and developer tool projects on Sourceware are highly invested
> in an email workflow we have been working on services that work best
> with that. See for example the Sourceware roadmap from a couple of
> years back that explains the why behind the current services:
> https://gnu.wildebeest.org/blog/mjw/2022/06/22/sourceware-gnu-toolchain-infrastructure-roadmap/
>
> Recently Tom and Jeff expressed interest in a "pull-request model"
> https://inbox.sourceware.org/libc-alpha/9124eadc81726959bb775e913ce6e6aaa5e51e45.camel@klomp.org/
>
> Maybe they can help guide us towards that model and the necessary
> services to implement it. We could for example resurrect the gerrit
> setup (assuming that is how people envision the "pull-request model" to
> work). Or we could indeed look into other services like gitea, forgejo,
> pagure or sourcehut.
>
> Note that there is a mirror on sr.ht already that you could play with
> https://sr.ht/~sourceware/binutils-gdb/

Thank you for answering, I've been trying to come up with a high level
reason why something about those forges is desirable to people like me
and the best I could come up with is this.

Having a single place where a developer can see:
- the change they are working on in the context of the wider project
- any code review comments their fellow developers may have
- whether these changes are likely to break things for others
- what others are working on
- that doesn't feel like Donald Norman's proverbial teapot!

Would this make sense to others?

--
Claudio Bantaloukas