* old automake archives
@ 2000-07-09 13:01 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-07-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Overseers List

I thought the automake ml archive had the list contents back to the
founding of the list.  I looked today and the archives only go back to
April 99.  Anybody know what happened here?

Tom

* Re: old automake archives
@ 2000-07-09 20:14   ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-07-09 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Overseers List

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 02:06:22PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I thought the automake ml archive had the list contents back to the
> founding of the list.  I looked today and the archives only go back to
> April 99.  Anybody know what happened here?

The earlier archives where those nasty hypermail-generated
not-really-HTML things that I threw together on basil (www.cygnus.com).
They're probably still on basil in /www/htdocs/ml/automake, but I
really would council against copying them over to sourceware - they
are nasty nasty.

The web archives on sourceware only go back to March-April 1999
(when I set up hypermail), with the exception of some lists which
were run under/gatewayed through Cygnus' majordomo setup and had
mbox-formatted archives on the Cygnus mail server.  Whenever I
moved those lists over (e.g. guile, bfd, gas2, egcs), I would always
create web archives based on those mbox archives and put the mbox
archives in the ftp directory.

Automake was never hooked into the Cygnus mail system, so those
archives didn't exist.

I think the FSF maintains some odd system of mail archives on an
ftp site - if those were converted into mbox-formatted one-per-month
archives, they could be put in ~ftp/pub/automake/mail-archives and
even formatted into web archives.  Formatting these things into
web archives is a little involved (a lot of command line arguments
need to be passed to mhonarc), but I think I wrote a script that
can do this automatically a while back (when I regenerated all of
the web archives earlier this year)--that would make it easier.

Jason

* Re: old automake archives
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)