* GCC Bugzilla (and other) timeouts
@ 2020-02-25 18:25 Martin Sebor
From: Martin Sebor @ 2020-02-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bugzilla has been slow lately, and today to the point of timing out
(I see the same problem with Git).  This seems to be a recurring theme
around the time of a GCC release.  Is anyone else experiencing this
problem and if so, does anyone know what the cause it and an ETA for
a solution?  Is the upcoming hardware upgrade expected to solve it?

Thanks
Martin

$ git pull
Connection closed by 209.132.180.131 port 22

and the repository exists.

* Re: GCC Bugzilla (and other) timeouts
@ 2020-02-26  8:32 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-02-26  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 18:25, Martin Sebor wrote:

> Bugzilla has been slow lately, and today to the point of timing out
> (I see the same problem with Git).  This seems to be a recurring theme
> around the time of a GCC release.  Is anyone else experiencing this
> problem and if so, does anyone know what the cause it and an ETA for
> a solution?  Is the upcoming hardware upgrade expected to solve it?
>
> Thanks
> Martin
>
> $ git pull
> Connection closed by 209.132.180.131 port 22
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.

What URL are you using to pull? (git remote get-url origin)

Bugzilla and httpd are very slow, but I haven't had any git timeouts.
If you're using anonymous access that gets throttled more aggressively
than authenticated access (using git+ssh:// for the protocol).

* Re: GCC Bugzilla (and other) timeouts
@ 2020-02-26 14:42   ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2020-02-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 3:39 AM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 18:25, Martin Sebor wrote:
> >
> > Bugzilla has been slow lately, and today to the point of timing out
> > (I see the same problem with Git).  This seems to be a recurring theme
> > around the time of a GCC release.  Is anyone else experiencing this
> > problem and if so, does anyone know what the cause it and an ETA for
> > a solution?  Is the upcoming hardware upgrade expected to solve it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Martin
> >
> > $ git pull
> > Connection closed by 209.132.180.131 port 22
> > fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
> >
> > Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> > and the repository exists.
>
> What URL are you using to pull? (git remote get-url origin)
>
> Bugzilla and httpd are very slow, but I haven't had any git timeouts.
> If you're using anonymous access that gets throttled more aggressively
> than authenticated access (using git+ssh:// for the protocol).

Yes, I used to use git:// for pulls and ssh:// for pushes, but switched to
ssh:// for both because I was getting too many rejected connections.

Jason

* Re: GCC Bugzilla (and other) timeouts
@ 2020-02-26 15:08     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-02-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> > Bugzilla and httpd are very slow, but I haven't had any git timeouts.
> > If you're using anonymous access that gets throttled more aggressively
> > than authenticated access (using git+ssh:// for the protocol).

Yeah, we're aware of reduced performance lately.  Suspecting one disk
is on the fritz, which doesn't help.  The switchover to the new server
can't happen soon enough - next week or two.

- FChE

* Re: GCC Bugzilla (and other) timeouts
@ 2020-02-26 16:25   ` Martin Sebor
From: Martin Sebor @ 2020-02-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/26/20 1:32 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 18:25, Martin Sebor wrote:
>>
>> Bugzilla has been slow lately, and today to the point of timing out
>> (I see the same problem with Git).  This seems to be a recurring theme
>> around the time of a GCC release.  Is anyone else experiencing this
>> problem and if so, does anyone know what the cause it and an ETA for
>> a solution?  Is the upcoming hardware upgrade expected to solve it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Martin
>>
>> $ git pull
>> Connection closed by 209.132.180.131 port 22
>> fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>>
>> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>> and the repository exists.
>
> What URL are you using to pull? (git remote get-url origin)

I use git+ssh (from our documentation):

   $ git remote get-url origin
   git+ssh://msebor@gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git

> Bugzilla and httpd are very slow, but I haven't had any git timeouts.
> If you're using anonymous access that gets throttled more aggressively
> than authenticated access (using git+ssh:// for the protocol).

Thanks for the confirmation.  Sounds like it's a known problem and
it's just a coincidence that it's happening again as we near a GCC
release.  I think I remember last year there was also a disk
problem, and ditto the year before then:
   https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2018-01/msg00125.html

Maybe we should proactively replace the disks every December ;-)

Martin