* how to get the FTP service you need
@ 2000-03-27 20:16 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-03-27 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

The following is for Red Hat project maintainers (especially eCos
which I guess is you, Jonathan, although feel free to correct me on
that).  Of course this doesn't address crucial projects like xconq
(which I have gotten somewhat addicted to in recent days I'll have to
admit.  But I digress).  But it should cover ("ultimately") GCC and
Cygwin which are the big bandwidth consumers on sourceware.

    Note that, ultimately, all Red Hat products should be available via
    ftp.redhat.com.  It might be worthwhile for the product manager of
    eCos to contact us in IS (either me, Andrew, or by sending e-mail to
    sysadmin@redhat.com) so that we can discuss making eCos available on
    our primary FTP site.

"me" is Steve Coile.
"Andrew" is Andrew Anderson, manager (or some such title) of IS in
North Carolina.  They are both in the staff list (and apologies again
for bothering non Red Hat folks with this).

* Re: how to get the FTP service you need
@ 2000-03-28  2:04   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-03-28  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> But it should cover ("ultimately") GCC and Cygwin which are the big
> bandwidth consumers on sourceware.
>
>     Note that, ultimately, all Red Hat products should be available via
>     ftp.redhat.com.  It might be worthwhile for the product manager of
>     eCos to contact us in IS [...]

Please note that GCC is not a Red Hat product. I don't think we can host
GCC on somename.redhat.com. This just won't be acceptable to the FSF.

Though, of course we can actually host it on such a machine if the
hostname that is used to access that machine remains gcc.gnu.org. Also
having a powerful FTP mirror at ftp.redhat.com would be very helpful.

Gerald

* Re: how to get the FTP service you need
@ 2000-03-28  5:41     ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-03-28  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

> I don't think we can host GCC on somename.redhat.com.

Agreed about that.  I sort of was thinking of this vaguely but I have
now mentioned it explicitly to the ftp.redhat.com folks.

> Also having a powerful FTP mirror at ftp.redhat.com would be very
> helpful.

Doing it as a mirror of sourceware.cygnus.com (and gcc.gnu.org) is my
favorite idea du jour.  We haven't heard back from the ftp.redhat.com
folks yet on that.

* Re: how to get the FTP service you need
@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Jim Kingdon