* Asking for permission to archive mail
@ 2007-07-25 10:44 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2007-07-25 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

You all are surely aware of those "Please remove my postings A, B, C"
from your mailing list archives.

Now I just came across what I think is incredibly nice a feature to
proactively handle such cases.  Here is how w3.org handles this.  When
you send a mail to one of their lists, you get a friendly reply to visit
a web page which looks as follows:

==== snip ====

                      W3C Mail Permission to archive mail

   a Web archive that is readable by the general public; before you may
   post to the list, you need to agree to have your message made available
   in these archives, forever.

   Therefore, please choose one of the four options below:

     * [ ] YES, W3C may archive this message on its Web site.
     * [X] YES, W3C may archive this message and any further messages I
           send to www-validator@w3.org on its Web site.
     * [ ] YES, W3C may archive this message and any further messages I
           send to any W3C list on its Web site.
     * [ ] NO, do not archive my message online or distribute it to the
           list; I will find another route for my feedback.

   If you do not choose one of these options by Wed Aug 1 10:37:21 UTC
   2007, your message will not be archived online or distributed to the
   list; it will be removed from our systems.

   Please be aware that having a message available in our archives runs
   the risk that your email address will be harvested by spammers. This is
   one of the risks of participating in a public forum.

Cute, isn't it?  I'm afraid this won't be straightforward to implement,
but I thought I'd at least share the concept.

Gerald

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-07-25 10:44 UTC | newest]