* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2014 - Slides for presentations
       [not found]     ` <Pine.LNX.4.64.1407241558290.433@digraph.polyomino.org.uk>
@ 2014-07-24 16:27       ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2014-07-24 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers, overseers; +Cc: Andrew Back, Jeremy Bennett, gcc

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Joseph S. Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Diego Novillo wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Joseph S. Myers
>> <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

>> > I take it they'll be available in an unencumbered format such as WebM, not
>> > just MP4?
>>
>> No clue. I didn't record the videos.
>>
>> To make them available via the GNU Tools page, we will need to share
>> them using G+ tools and format.  I think G+ uses the same encoding
>> used by Youtube. I know enough to smash the button that makes the
>> video available, but I never bothered with the details.
>>
>> If sourceware has enough room, I suppose they could be converted into
>> an appropriate format and stored in sourceware's ftp space. Could you
>> take care of the conversion, upload and publishing, in case the
>> original format is not desirable?
>
> Given the original files on sourceware I'm happy to use ffmpeg to convert
> them to WebM at a similar bit-rate (though someone else may have more
> experience and a better idea of the best configuration for the conversion

I need 147Gb of free space, but my home directory on gcc.gnu.org only has 117Gb.

overseers, any way to create room somewhere on sourceware for me to
upload the 2013 videos?

Diego.

* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2014 - Slides for presentations
@ 2014-07-24 16:55         ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2014-07-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: overseers, Andrew Back, Jeremy Bennett, gcc

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Diego Novillo wrote:

> >> If sourceware has enough room, I suppose they could be converted into
> >> an appropriate format and stored in sourceware's ftp space. Could you
> >> take care of the conversion, upload and publishing, in case the
> >> original format is not desirable?
> >
> > Given the original files on sourceware I'm happy to use ffmpeg to convert
> > them to WebM at a similar bit-rate (though someone else may have more
> > experience and a better idea of the best configuration for the conversion
>
> I need 147Gb of free space, but my home directory on gcc.gnu.org only has 117Gb.
>
> overseers, any way to create room somewhere on sourceware for me to
> upload the 2013 videos?

Given that the converted videos would probably take up a similar amount of
space to the originals to have a similar quality (and until the MP4
patents all expire - around 2027, apparently, by which time 147Gb may be a
negligible amount of space - we'll want both the originals and the best
available unencumbered format), maybe we should ask gnu-prog-discuss what
the best place is for hosting large amounts of high-quality GNU-related
video?  The issue can hardly be unique to the Cauldrons.

(The above assumes the originals are MP4 or some other patent-encumbered
format.  If an unencumbered format there's no real point in converting
unless the result of conversion is much smaller than the original - which
might well be the case if the original format is one that only compresses
individual frames, such formats also being more likely to be
unencumbered.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: GNU Tools Cauldron 2014 - Slides for presentations
@ 2014-07-24 17:33           ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2014-07-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: overseers, Andrew Back, Jeremy Bennett, gcc

FWIW, it seems

http://audio-video.gnu.org/

is official GNU hosting for videos.  But I don't know if they'll archive
the original files for later conversion to future unencumbered formats,
and of course you still need somewhere to put the 147Gb of files to get
them to the audio-video people.  I suppose it may be worth filing an issue
in http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?group=audio-video explaining what files
you have and asking how to provide them.

We should be able to assume that having videos hosted there (possibly in
addition to other places) is sufficient for GNU purposes (if that project
is provided with the source material in as good a quality as provided to
some other site, I hope they will ensure they provide the video in an
unencumbered format and readily accessible with only free software with
quality as good as on the other site).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com