From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
Cc: Pedro Alves <pedro@palves.net>,
	simon.marchi@polymtl.ca, eliz@gnu.org,
	Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: setting up sim project web space
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:22:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Joel,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 06:00:47AM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > For savannah you are unfortunately stuck with CVS for webpages. But you
> > can just install a redirect to https://sourceware.org/gdb/ so you don't
> > need to keep mirroring it in two places.
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea.
>
> One of the things I'm concerned about is perhaps people having
> bookmarks of old pages. Or perhaps have every one of the current
> pages be a redirect to the corresponding page?
>
> Something like this?
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>    <head>
>       <title>Redirecting to </title>
>    </head>

That should work for html pages. It is what e.g. gnutls uses.  They
keep the page itself in place (so if there is any delay in the
redirection the user at least sees the old contents), and they just
add the meta http-equiv tag right after the head tag with a
content="0; (to make the redirect instantanious).

This requires a little scripting to update all pages (let me know if
you can use help with that).

Alternatively (this is what e.g. guix uses) you can request an
.htaccess file be installed that does the redirects. You can contact
webmasters@gnu.org for that.

> > >   - One is hosted on sourceware.org
> > >       CVS/Root: sourceware.org:/cvs/gdb
> > >       CVS/Repository: htdocs
> > >
> > >     This repository is the source of the copy on sourceware.org:
> > >       https://www.sourceware.org/gdb/
> > >
> > > I don't know why we have two copies of the website, unfortunately.
> > >
> > > It would be nice if we could transition the sources to Git.
> > > I haven't done it, because I don't know how the automatic-update-after-push
> > > is set up, so I'm concerned about breaking the website update if I do.
> >
> > Sadly my knowledge of CVS is fairly minimal at this point, so I don't
> > really understand fully how it is setup now. But I can see that it
> > involves getting a checkout under
> > /sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/gdb/
> > I can convert the CVS repo to git and then setup the git hooks to do
> > the same.
>
> Combined with the redirect, I think this would be great.

OK, if you can look into the the redirect I can look into converting
the cvs repo to git and setup the automatic website updating.

> > That does leave the question of who should be in the gdb group (and is
> > allowed to push) and how the onlinedocs are updated, those under:
> > https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/
> > Which seems to be done by some script and you need to be in the
> > "shared" group to be able to put files there.
>
> For the onlinedocs part, it's user "gdbadmin" who does those updates.
> It does so nightly via crontab.

I found /home/gdbadmin/ss/update-web-docs which seems to be the script
responsible. I think this should work as is for the git gdb-htdocs
setup just have to adjust the repo/web dir name, which are arguments
to how the script is called.

To get back to the original request for updating the sim documentation
on the website. Can we tweak this script to include sim? I don't see a
doc subdir under sim though, so I am not sure how the sim
documentation is generated.

> For the permissions to push to the new htdocs, I can ask the question
> to the GDB Global Maintainers. Perhaps they'll agree that anyone allowed
> to push to GDB can also push to GDB's htdocs, particularly if we set the
> git-hooks up so as to have commit emails sent to gdb-cvs.

I think it would be best/easiest to let everybody in the gdb group
able to push commits to gdb-htdocs.  If you trust people to commit
code, you really should trust them to commit documentation, imho.

Speaking of groups. There are actually two, src and gdb. src is used
for enabling git commit access, because that group is shared with
binutils. I looks like gdb is a proper subset of src.

Cheers,

Mark