* makeinfo update
@ 2017-02-28 13:14 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2017-02-28 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Could we please get a newer version of makeinfo on sourceware?

Right now we still have

  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13

which runs into bugs generating the web documentation, bugs that
I just verified version 6.3 (for example) has fixed.

Even a non-standard location would be fine; we (= I ;-) can adjust
the invocation from the gccadmin account.

Thanks,
Gerald

* Re: makeinfo update
@ 2017-02-28 13:25 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-02-28 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:14:01AM -0800, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>Could we please get a newer version of makeinfo on sourceware?
>
>Right now we still have
>
>  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13
>  Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
>which runs into bugs generating the web documentation, bugs that
>I just verified version 6.3 (for example) has fixed.
>
>Even a non-standard location would be fine; we (= I ;-) can adjust
>the invocation from the gccadmin account.

Looking into this now.

cgf

* Re: makeinfo update
@ 2017-02-28 14:04   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2017-02-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer, overseers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 08:25:41AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:14:01AM -0800, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>Could we please get a newer version of makeinfo on sourceware?
>>
>>Right now we still have
>>
>>  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13
>>  Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>>which runs into bugs generating the web documentation, bugs that
>>I just verified version 6.3 (for example) has fixed.
>>
>>Even a non-standard location would be fine; we (= I ;-) can adjust
>>the invocation from the gccadmin account.
>
>Looking into this now.

% makeinfo --version
texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.3

I had to take some *ahem* liberties with the Fedora 26 source rpm to get
this to build but I think it should be ok.  Please send email here if
there are problems.

cgf

* Re: makeinfo update
@ 2017-03-01 13:31     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2017-03-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> % makeinfo --version
> texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.3

This seems to work just lovely, thank you!

(Tested by running the script that nightly generates GCC's /onlinedocs
and also verified the output, including that the issues I had seen with
the old version of makeinfo have gone away.)

> I had to take some *ahem* liberties with the Fedora 26 source rpm
> to get this to build but I think it should be ok.

;-)

Gerald