* [dnovillo: gcc.gnu.org having problems?]
@ 2008-02-22 11:24 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-02-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

----- Forwarded message from Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> -----

From: Diego Novillo
To: sourcemaster
Subject: gcc.gnu.org having problems?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:58:22 -0500

I'm getting this message while trying to access:

http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/branches/gcc-4_2-branch/gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog?view=log&pathrev=132254

Other pages seem to work, so it's not the whole site.

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, sourcemaster and
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
done that may have caused the error.

Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 80

Thanks.  Diego.

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: [dnovillo: gcc.gnu.org having problems?]
@ 2008-02-22 12:29 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2008-02-22 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnovillo; +Cc: overseers

Diego Novillo wrote:

> I'm getting this message while trying to access:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/branches/gcc-4_2-branch/gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog?view=log&pathrev=132254
>
> Other pages seem to work, so it's not the whole site.
>

> Internal Server Error
>
> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.
[snip]

From what I can tell, it appears that that particular file has so many
revisions that viewvc.cgi takes a huge amount of time to read all the
revisions in and process them, resulting in apache considering the process
to have timed out and kills it. I'm not sure anything can be done about
this. Extending the timeouts further would buy a little time for some more
revisions and that's all.

Jifl
Visit us @ Embedded World 2008, Nürnberg, Germany, 26-28 Feb:Stand 11-336
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine

* Re: [dnovillo: gcc.gnu.org having problems?]
@ 2008-02-22 19:35   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2008-02-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

>  From what I can tell, it appears that that particular file has so many
>  revisions that viewvc.cgi takes a huge amount of time to read all the
>  revisions in and process them, resulting in apache considering the process
>  to have timed out and kills it. I'm not sure anything can be done about
>  this. Extending the timeouts further would buy a little time for some more
>  revisions and that's all.

Thanks.  Dan Berlin also confirmed that this script is pretty weak.
Since it doesn't seem that we'll have a replacement for this script
anytime soon, maybe the error message could be changed to blame the
script?  If not, that's OK too.

Diego.