* sourceware.org mailing list manager warning
       [not found] <8d26fa3ac9da805fa0f66cd402852015@support.webnames.ca>
@ 2020-01-25 23:12 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-01-25 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sourceware Email Support; +Cc: overseers

Hi folks,

My mail forwarder believes there may be a problem on your end, underlying their
sometimes not connecting to your mailing list forwarder, resulting in some
emails from lists not being delivered, and regarded as bouncing.

The below is in the order from their ticket, and does not mean much to me
regarding production server email setup.

Hope you can shed some light on the situation for me.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:10:41 -0800, support@webnames.ca wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Here are my thoughts on the email situation you described:
>
> We use Barracuda as a spam filter for our mail server, and neither cygwin.com
> nor sourceware.org came up as blacklisted on Barracuda when I queried them on
> MXToolbox. So then I focused on this part of the bounce message:
>
> *Connected to 209.15.37.22 but greeting failed.*
>
> If it isn't "passing" the greeting, then it's quite likely it isn't even getting
> to the spam filter, because it's getting rejected before that stage. This
> article I stumbled across when searching for the bounce message describes how
> mail servers communicate with one another.
>
> https://manuals.gfi.com/en/kerio/connect/content/troubleshooting/general-errors/cannot-send-to-some-mail-servers-with-the-explanation-that-the-smtp-greeting-failed-400.html
>
> So after reading that, my suspicion is that the mail server isn't trusted
> because it isn't properly "identified". This also makes me think that it is also
> possible that it isn't just Webnames.ca-hosted emails that aren't receiving the
> automated messages being sent out by cygwin@cygwin.com <mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com>.
>
> I noticed that cygwin.com also doesn't have an SPF record in its DNS
> configuration, which my be part of the problem. An SPF record helps identify the
> authoritative mail server for a domain name (in this case, sourceware.org is the
> authoritative mail server for cygwin.com.
>
> The mail administrator for cygwin.com would typically be the one to insert the
> SPF record on the domain, which is composed of the parts shown in this image:
>
> For instance, for customers who send email from domains hosted by Webnames (for
> their email), we add the following SPF record to their DNS:
>
> *v=spf1 a:spf10.webnames.ca -all*
>
> You should probably have one added to cygwin.com as well, as it can help ensure
> delivery by identifying sourceware.org as the authoritative mailserver for the
> domain.
>> You forward my professional email at the above address and appear to be bouncing
>> some emails from mailing lists to which I subscribe using that professional
>> email address as my permanent public address.
>>
>> You appear to be bouncing email from sourceware.org (see below) mailing lists
>> for "reputation".
>>
>> Sourceware.org is provided by RedHat (now IBM) as a base for important volunteer
>> projects such as GCC, glibc, GDB, binutils, Cygwin, etc. see:
>>
>> 	https://sourceware.org/projects.html
>>
>> to host source code repositories, web sites, and mailing lists.
>>
>> In my experience, the lists are not moderated, but heavily filtered, and
>> automated (see below), allowing only plain text posts, bouncing anything
>> containing HTML parts, and only the occasional spam gets thru, manageable by
>> manual deletion.
>>
>> Please reconsider your rating and filtering criteria regarding sourceware hosted
>> mailing list sourced emails including GCC, glibc, GDB, binutils, Cygwin, etc.

> [...]

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-01-25 23:12 UTC | newest]