* New ssh key after upgrading Debian Testing last Monday :-(
@ 2015-12-24 13:07 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2015-12-24 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Overseers,

I upgraded my Debian Testing system last Monday and am now suffering of
a OpenSSH installation that doesn't support rsa or dsa anymore.

This is my new ssh key:

ssh-ed25519
AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHF5qpRBrdnA7FWzBt7u91Iz9Kokwu0ZvvftWzJMGLNo
toon@moene.org

Thanks for installing it.

Kind regards,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/

* Re: New ssh key after upgrading Debian Testing last Monday :-(
@ 2015-12-24 15:55 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2015-12-24 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: overseers

Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

> I upgraded my Debian Testing system last Monday and am now suffering
> of a OpenSSH installation that doesn't support rsa or dsa anymore.
>
> This is my new ssh key:
>
> ssh-ed25519
> AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHF5qpRBrdnA7FWzBt7u91Iz9Kokwu0ZvvftWzJMGLNo
> toon@moene.org

That can't be right, it's too short.  Try sending your key as an
attachment.

If you have a key on a different system, you can add your new key from
that system, using "ssh gcc.gnu.org appendkey < NEWKEYFILE".

Ian

* Re: New ssh key after upgrading Debian Testing last Monday :-(
@ 2015-12-24 16:11   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2015-12-24 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Toon Moene, overseers

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:
>
> > I upgraded my Debian Testing system last Monday and am now suffering
> > of a OpenSSH installation that doesn't support rsa or dsa anymore.
> >
> > This is my new ssh key:
> >
> > ssh-ed25519
> > AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHF5qpRBrdnA7FWzBt7u91Iz9Kokwu0ZvvftWzJMGLNo
> > toon@moene.org
>
> That can't be right, it's too short.  Try sending your key as an
> attachment.

Ed25519 public keys are only 32 bytes.  See <http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/>.  I
don't know whether sourceware has a recent enough OpenSSH version to
support Ed25519, however.

"rsa" (version 2) keys should be supported by current OpenSSH - it's rsa1
(SSH protocol 1) that's obsolete (along with DSA).  (ECDSA should be
supported as well, though it has potential issues, so RSA and Ed25519 are
probably better; see
<https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html>.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: New ssh key after upgrading Debian Testing last Monday :-(
@ 2015-12-24 20:45     ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2015-12-24 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Myers, Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On 12/24/2015 01:08 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
>> Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:
>>
>>> I upgraded my Debian Testing system last Monday and am now suffering
>>> of a OpenSSH installation that doesn't support rsa or dsa anymore.
>>>
>>> This is my new ssh key:
>>>
>>> ssh-ed25519
>>> AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHF5qpRBrdnA7FWzBt7u91Iz9Kokwu0ZvvftWzJMGLNo
>>> toon@moene.org
>>
>> That can't be right, it's too short.  Try sending your key as an
>> attachment.
>
> Ed25519 public keys are only 32 bytes.  See <http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/>.  I
> don't know whether sourceware has a recent enough OpenSSH version to
> support Ed25519, however.

I was surprised at the shortness of the key, too. However, it works
between my laptop and my PC (both upgraded to Debian Testing as-of
20151221) *and* my workstation at work (which is Fedora 21) and my PC.

So if it doesn't work with gcc.gnu.org, perhaps *that* system is too old :-)

@ 2015-12-27  8:54       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2015-12-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Joseph Myers, overseers

Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

> On 12/24/2015 01:08 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:

>>> That can't be right, it's too short.  Try sending your key as an
>>> attachment.
>>
>> Ed25519 public keys are only 32 bytes.  See <http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/>.  I
>> don't know whether sourceware has a recent enough OpenSSH version to
>> support Ed25519, however.
>
> I was surprised at the shortness of the key, too. However, it works
> between my laptop and my PC (both upgraded to Debian Testing as-of
> 20151221) *and* my workstation at work (which is Fedora 21) and my PC.
>
> So if it doesn't work with gcc.gnu.org, perhaps *that* system is too old :-)

Ah, OK, sorry.  Well, I installed it.  See if it works.

Ian

* Re: New ssh key after upgrading Debian Testing last Monday :-(
@ 2015-12-27 11:37         ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2015-12-27 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Joseph Myers, overseers

On 12/24/2015 04:55 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

>> On 12/24/2015 01:08 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:

>>> Ed25519 public keys are only 32 bytes.  See <http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/>.  I
>>> don't know whether sourceware has a recent enough OpenSSH version to
>>> support Ed25519, however.
>>
>> I was surprised at the shortness of the key, too. However, it works
>> between my laptop and my PC (both upgraded to Debian Testing as-of
>> 20151221) *and* my workstation at work (which is Fedora 21) and my PC.
>>
>> So if it doesn't work with gcc.gnu.org, perhaps *that* system is too old :-)
>
> Ah, OK, sorry.  Well, I installed it.  See if it works.

Read access works, write access gets me the following error message:

toon@moene:~/compilers$ svn co svn+ssh://toon@gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'svn+ssh://toon@gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk'
svn: E210002: To better debug SSH connection problems, remove the -q
option from 'ssh' in the [tunnels] section of your Subversion
configuration file.
svn: E210002: Network connection closed unexpectedly

Kind regards,

--

@ 2015-12-27 13:44           ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2015-12-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Joseph Myers, overseers

Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

> On 12/24/2015 04:55 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
>> Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

>>> I was surprised at the shortness of the key, too. However, it works
>>> between my laptop and my PC (both upgraded to Debian Testing as-of
>>> 20151221) *and* my workstation at work (which is Fedora 21) and my PC.
>>>
>>> So if it doesn't work with gcc.gnu.org, perhaps *that* system is too old :-)
>>
>> Ah, OK, sorry.  Well, I installed it.  See if it works.
>
> Read access works, write access gets me the following error message:
>
> toon@moene:~/compilers$ svn co svn+ssh://toon@gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> svn+ssh://toon@gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk'
> svn: E210002: To better debug SSH connection problems, remove the -q
> option from 'ssh' in the [tunnels] section of your Subversion
> configuration file.
> svn: E210002: Network connection closed unexpectedly

What do you see from
    ssh -v -v -v toon@gcc.gnu.org alive
?

Ian