* Changed httpd timeout
@ 2007-07-05  7:03 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-07-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

httpd was responding very slowly on gcc.gnu.org/sourceware.org, and
often timing out.  Looking into it I saw some 150 HTTP connection
requests sitting in ESTABLISHED, from different IP addresses, and some
200 requests sitting in SYN_RECV.  The http access logs and error logs
looked normal enough.  It seemed possible that we were being hit by a
distributed denial of service attack.

I looked in httpd.conf, and saw that the Timeout setting was 300.  I
reduced it to 30, and reloaded httpd.  At the moment things seem to be
working OK.  300 seems clearly too high for us, but 30 may be too low.
I have no problem with pushing it up again, assuming the problem does
not recur.

There was an outstanding change in httpd.conf which had not been
committed to the RCS file, removing some bandwidth limitations.  I
committed that change before making my change.  I don't know who made
that change, but it was done on May 27.

Ian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-07-05  7:03 UTC | newest]