* cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
@ 2011-10-07 22:06 Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2011-10-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi.  fyi,

gdb$ cvs ci ChangeLog
Waiting for Emacs...
Checking in ChangeLog;
/cvs/src/src/gdb/ChangeLog,v  <--  ChangeLog
done
cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
gdb$

According to this article, the history file should be pruned periodically.

http://www.thornleyware.com/scm/cvsconfig/repository_config.html

* Re: cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
@ 2011-10-07 22:40 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2011-10-07 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: overseers

Hi, Doug -

> cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large

OK, it's been renamed.

> According to this article, the history file should be pruned periodically.
> http://www.thornleyware.com/scm/cvsconfig/repository_config.html

Perhaps we should treat it the same was as system logs, and just rotate
them monthly or somesuch.

- FChE

* Re: cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
@ 2011-10-07 23:03   ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2011-10-07 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

Heh.
history needs to be world writable.

cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file
/cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied

@ 2011-10-07 23:11     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-10-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers, Doug Evans

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 04:02:51PM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
>Heh.
>history needs to be world writable.
>
>cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file
>/cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied

Should be fixed.

* Re: cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
@ 2011-10-07 23:14   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-10-07 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Doug Evans, overseers

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi, Doug -
>
>> cvs commit: warning: cannot write to history file /cvs/src/CVSROOT/history: File too large
>
> OK, it's been renamed.
>
>> According to this article, the history file should be pruned periodically.
>> http://www.thornleyware.com/scm/cvsconfig/repository_config.html
>
> Perhaps we should treat it the same was as system logs, and just rotate
> them monthly or somesuch.

We should just remove the file entirely.  Seems like I do that from time
to time.  Not sure why it comes back.

Ian