* qmail-smtpd was not running
@ 2003-11-23  3:55 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-11-23  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I noticed that qmail-smtpd was not running on sourceware, which meant
that no incoming mail was being accepted.  I ran
/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail stop, and waited for all the qmail programs to
stop.  Then I ran /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start, and it started again.
Now qmail-smtpd is running (actually tcpserver on port 25, accepting
connections and passing them to qmail-smtpd).

It looked like qmail had been restarted at 1:38GMT, about one and a
half hours ago as I write this.  I don't know how this was done, but
it appears that qmail-smtpd may not have been restarted along with
qmail.

We may want to move qmail under /service, rather than running it via
/etc/rc.d/init.d.  I think that will be more reliable, as it means
that programs will be automatically restarted by svscan if they fail
or are killed for some reason.  I can do this if nobody objects.

Ian

* Re: qmail-smtpd was not running
@ 2003-11-23  4:00 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-11-23  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 10:55:16PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>I noticed that qmail-smtpd was not running on sourceware, which meant
>that no incoming mail was being accepted.  I ran
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail stop, and waited for all the qmail programs to
>stop.  Then I ran /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start, and it started again.
>Now qmail-smtpd is running (actually tcpserver on port 25, accepting
>connections and passing them to qmail-smtpd).
>
>It looked like qmail had been restarted at 1:38GMT, about one and a
>half hours ago as I write this.  I don't know how this was done, but
>it appears that qmail-smtpd may not have been restarted along with
>qmail.
>
>We may want to move qmail under /service, rather than running it via
>/etc/rc.d/init.d.  I think that will be more reliable, as it means
>that programs will be automatically restarted by svscan if they fail
>or are killed for some reason.  I can do this if nobody objects.

I'd rather not, actually.  I have to stop qmail from time to time and
I'd rather use "service" to do it.  I'm not sure why it didn't restart
when I started it today, though.  I just tried it again, and it seemed
to be ok.

cgf

* Re: qmail-smtpd was not running
@ 2003-11-23  4:05   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2003-11-23  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> >We may want to move qmail under /service, rather than running it via
> >/etc/rc.d/init.d.  I think that will be more reliable, as it means
> >that programs will be automatically restarted by svscan if they fail
> >or are killed for some reason.  I can do this if nobody objects.
>
> I'd rather not, actually.  I have to stop qmail from time to time and
> I'd rather use "service" to do it.  I'm not sure why it didn't restart
> when I started it today, though.  I just tried it again, and it seemed
> to be ok.

If we put qmail under /service, then you stop it using
    svc -d /service/qmail
and you restart it using
    svc -u /service/qmail

Admittedly a new set of commands, but not too hard to use.

Ian