* yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
@ 2014-05-09 18:41 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2014-05-09 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: dw

Yahoo.com has set their dmarc policy to reject all email that can’t pass verification:

  https://dmarcian.com/dmarc-inspector/yahoo.com

Such a dmarc policy is not presently compatible with mailing lists, nor are mailing lists presently compatible with this dmarc policy.  dmarc uses dkim under the hood to verify email.  Mailing lists work in part by rewriting email and resending mail, both of which can cause email to fail to verify.

See google("yahoo mailing list dmarc”) for more information.

I’m emailing today, as I am one of those people seeing the bounced messages:

gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.

Messages to you from the gcc-patches mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the gcc-patches mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc-patches mailing list have
bounced from your address.

send an empty message to:
  <gcc-patches-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>

send an empty message to:
  <gcc-patches-index@gcc.gnu.org>

Here are the message numbers:

  366104
  366241
  366318
  366656
  366748

Date: 28 Apr 2014 00:05:47 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: gcc-patches-return-366104-@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.

<mikestump@comcast.net>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<mikestump@comcast.net> 68.87.26.147 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 5.2.0 vB3r1n01X2qVqVd0ZB3rua Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

* Re: yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
@ 2014-05-10  1:08 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-05-10  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers, dw

Mike Stump <mikestump@comcast.net> writes:

> Yahoo.com has set their dmarc policy to reject all email that can’t
> pass verification:
>
>   https://dmarcian.com/dmarc-inspector/yahoo.com
>
> Such a dmarc policy is not presently compatible with mailing lists,
> nor are mailing lists presently compatible with this dmarc policy.
> dmarc uses dkim under the hood to verify email.  Mailing lists work in
> part by rewriting email and resending mail, both of which can cause
> email to fail to verify.
>
> Because of this, all yahoo addresses should be removed from all
> mailing lists.  In particular dw <limegreensocks@yahoo.com> is on the
> gcc-patches mailing list and is causing bounced messages to people
> that post to the mailing list.
>
> See google("yahoo mailing list dmarc”) for more information.
>
> I’m emailing today, as I am one of those people seeing the bounced messages:

As I see it, the problem is with 1) yahoo.com's dmarc setting; 2) people
who honor yahoo.com's setting.  I don't think there is anything sensible
we can do about it on gcc.gnu.org.  You should tell comcast.net that
they are incorrectly rejecting valid messages sent from yahoo.com via
gcc.gnu.org.

I can't see any reason for us to remove @yahoo.com addresses from the
mailing lists, because they will continue to work fine for people who
ignore dmarc--that is to say, most people.  I think people who want to
get mail from mailing lists will more or less have to ignore dmarc.

Ian

@ 2014-05-10  2:06   ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2014-05-10  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers, dw

On May 9, 2014, at 6:08 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> As I see it, the problem is with 1) yahoo.com's dmarc setting;

It is working exactly as designed, unfortunately.  They have no intention of ever changing it.  :-(

> 2) people who honor yahoo.com's setting.

Again, those people are doing things exactly as designed.  :-(

> I don't think there is anything sensible we can do about it on gcc.gnu.org.

In time, new mailing list software will have to do something sensible, hopefully that will take less than 3 years…  The biggest problem is that no one has designed and documented the solution in an rfc and implemented it yet.

> You should tell comcast.net that they are incorrectly rejecting valid messages

But, they are not valid; they fail validation…  of course, the real problem is the standard is broken as designed and people are using it, that is the biggest problem.  sigh...

@ 2014-05-11  9:12     ` dw
From: dw @ 2014-05-11  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump, Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

As it turns out, ezmlm has been sending me warnings too, so I was
already planning to move to a non-yahoo account.

It's kind of a bummer, since what little gcc reputation I have is under
that email address.  Oh well.

dw

@ 2014-05-11 13:42       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2014-05-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dw; +Cc: Mike Stump, Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Sun, 11 May 2014, dw wrote:
> It's kind of a bummer, since what little gcc reputation I have is under
> that email address.  Oh well.

This is where a real name instead of "dw" would have come handy.

It's quite more common to change e-mail addresses or employers
than names.

Gerald

* Re: yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
@ 2014-05-12 16:33     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-05-12 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers, dw

Mike Stump <mikestump@comcast.net> writes:

> In time, new mailing list software will have to do something sensible,
> hopefully that will take less than 3 years… The biggest problem is
> that no one has designed and documented the solution in an rfc and
> implemented it yet.

I don't actually see what mailing list software can do.

With the current state of affairs, the only approach I can see is for
the mailing list software to rewrite the From address to a local
address, and implement forwarding, so that replies will continue to
work.  But that is obviously problematic in various ways.

So I think the only possible end result of this will be that people will
stop honoring dmarc settings, just as people have stopped honoring SPF
settings.

Ian

* Re: yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
@ 2014-05-12 16:45       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-05-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Mike Stump, overseers, dw

Hi -

> [...]  With the current state of affairs, the only approach I can
> see is for the mailing list software to rewrite the From address to
> a local address, and implement forwarding, so that replies will
> continue to work.  But that is obviously problematic in various
> ways.  [...]

Should we experiment with the qmail-toaster SRS (sender rewriting)?

- FChE

* Re: yahoo.com address on gcc-patches
@ 2014-05-12 17:19         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-05-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Mike Stump, overseers, dw

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@elastic.org> writes:

>> [...]  With the current state of affairs, the only approach I can
>> see is for the mailing list software to rewrite the From address to
>> a local address, and implement forwarding, so that replies will
>> continue to work.  But that is obviously problematic in various
>> ways.  [...]
>
> Should we experiment with the qmail-toaster SRS (sender rewriting)?

As far as I know that rewrites every sender, which I think will
introduce considerable confusion.  If there is a way to rewrite all
senders @yahoo.com, then it may be worth trying.

Ian