* Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 17:55 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-01-15 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I could probably figure this out, but maybe somebody knows the answer
off the top of their head.  The bug-binutils@gnu.org mailing list is
now working properly--we have activated spam blocking, and are using
moderators to eliminate the remaining spam.  I would like to reactive
the archive which is accessible from sourceware.org (it currently says
that there were no messages from January to March, which I know is
untrue).  How should I do this?

Ian

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 18:17 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-15 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:54:56PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>I could probably figure this out, but maybe somebody knows the answer
>off the top of their head.  The bug-binutils@gnu.org mailing list is
>now working properly--we have activated spam blocking, and are using
>moderators to eliminate the remaining spam.  I would like to reactive
>the archive which is accessible from sourceware.org (it currently says
>that there were no messages from January to March, which I know is
>untrue).  How should I do this?

Why do you want to do this?  AFAIK, bug-binutils is already archived
at gnu.org.  Why duplicate the archive?  I've never understood why
we are archiving mail from other mailing lists on sourceware.org.
If it is crucial that we access the archive from sourceware.org,
couldn't we just set up a link?

I turned this off a while ago when it was doing nothing more than
filling up the disk with spam.  I don't remember precisely what I did
but I imagine I tweaked /qmail/listarch/.qmail-bug-binutils.  I also
may have unsubscribed somehow from bug-binutils, or whatever it is
aliased to.

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 18:20   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-01-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:54:56PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >I could probably figure this out, but maybe somebody knows the answer
> >off the top of their head.  The bug-binutils@gnu.org mailing list is
> >now working properly--we have activated spam blocking, and are using
> >moderators to eliminate the remaining spam.  I would like to reactive
> >the archive which is accessible from sourceware.org (it currently says
> >that there were no messages from January to March, which I know is
> >untrue).  How should I do this?
>
> Why do you want to do this?  AFAIK, bug-binutils is already archived
> at gnu.org.  Why duplicate the archive?  I've never understood why
> we are archiving mail from other mailing lists on sourceware.org.
> If it is crucial that we access the archive from sourceware.org,
> couldn't we just set up a link?

Hmmm, I was thinking that it would be nice to have the same archive
format as all the other sourceware lists.  But perhaps you are right.
I'll just put a link to the bug-binutils archive from the binutils web
page.

Ian

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 18:27     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-15 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:20:41PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:54:56PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> >I could probably figure this out, but maybe somebody knows the answer
>> >off the top of their head.  The bug-binutils@gnu.org mailing list is
>> >now working properly--we have activated spam blocking, and are using
>> >moderators to eliminate the remaining spam.  I would like to reactive
>> >the archive which is accessible from sourceware.org (it currently says
>> >that there were no messages from January to March, which I know is
>> >untrue).  How should I do this?
>>
>> Why do you want to do this?  AFAIK, bug-binutils is already archived
>> at gnu.org.  Why duplicate the archive?  I've never understood why
>> we are archiving mail from other mailing lists on sourceware.org.
>> If it is crucial that we access the archive from sourceware.org,
>> couldn't we just set up a link?
>
>Hmmm, I was thinking that it would be nice to have the same archive
>format as all the other sourceware lists.  But perhaps you are right.
>I'll just put a link to the bug-binutils archive from the binutils web
>page.

In a perfect world, I'm sure this would be useful.  But I'm noting that
all of the disks on sourceware are filling up at a truly alarming rate
-- much faster than I'd anticipated when I first speced out the new
system (not that I had much $$$ leeway to buy more disks anyway, but...)
so any additional disk usage burden should be scrutinized.

I meant to mention this in my original message.

I think I am soon going to take the drastic measure of eliminating some
of the ezmlm archive data.  Does anyone have a serious problem with that?
This would mean that you can't send email to ezmlm requesting the email
messages from four years ago.  I don't think this is a popular feature
but it's hard to know for sure.

cgf

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 18:30       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-01-15 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> I think I am soon going to take the drastic measure of eliminating some
> of the ezmlm archive data.  Does anyone have a serious problem with that?
> This would mean that you can't send email to ezmlm requesting the email
> messages from four years ago.  I don't think this is a popular feature
> but it's hard to know for sure.

Personally I think this is fine.  The e-mail messages will still be
available on the web.  We should probably try to archive them
somewhere just in case.

Ian

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 20:41         ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2004-01-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Christopher Faylor, overseers

> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > I think I am soon going to take the drastic measure of eliminating some
> > of the ezmlm archive data.  Does anyone have a serious problem with that?
> > This would mean that you can't send email to ezmlm requesting the email
> > messages from four years ago.  I don't think this is a popular feature
> > but it's hard to know for sure.
>
> Personally I think this is fine.  The e-mail messages will still be
> available on the web.  We should probably try to archive them
> somewhere just in case.
>
> Ian

I can burn stuff to CD/DVD before the deletion if you don't find
an online source to archive to.

--Angela

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 21:04           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:44:39PM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:

>> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>>
>> > I think I am soon going to take the drastic measure of eliminating some
>> > of the ezmlm archive data.  Does anyone have a serious problem with that?
>> > This would mean that you can't send email to ezmlm requesting the email
>> > messages from four years ago.  I don't think this is a popular feature
>> > but it's hard to know for sure.
>>
>> Personally I think this is fine.  The e-mail messages will still be
>> available on the web.  We should probably try to archive them
>> somewhere just in case.
>
>I can burn stuff to CD/DVD before the deletion if you don't find
>an online source to archive to.

That would be very helpful.  I could do that, too, but I have to download
everything, whereas, you've presumably already got everything.  It might
be nice to just take periodic DVD snapshots of sourceware.  I can probably
finance a big box of blank media for you, if you'd like.

cgf

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-15 21:15             ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2004-01-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

> That would be very helpful.  I could do that, too, but I have to download
> everything, whereas, you've presumably already got everything.  It might

Let me know what you're going to delete and I'll back it up.

> be nice to just take periodic DVD snapshots of sourceware.  I can probably
> finance a big box of blank media for you, if you'd like.

Since I couldn't get the tape drive, I've looked at what it will
take to stage regular DVD backups.  I have a DVD burner now and
enough extra disk space to do it.  Now I just need to automate it.
The free DVD burning tools I've found have been pretty primitive
or just didn't work so I'm probably going to have to invest in a
commercial tool.  FYI, the backups of the old machine took 4 DVDs
not counting the htdig database.

I also have an old 8mm tape robot, now, that I'm going to see if
I can use (need to install a SCSI controller).  Tapes would be
more convenient for backups we don't want/need to keep around
for more than a week or so.  It would also let me use dump(8)
for incrementals.  I can kinda fake incrementals right now because
I have all the rsync output stored and could selectively backup
just those files (haven't done that yet, just installed the bigger
disk recently).

--Angela

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-16  0:45               ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-01-16  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: overseers

Angela Marie Thomas wrote:

> I also have an old 8mm tape robot, now, that I'm going to see if
> I can use (need to install a SCSI controller).  Tapes would be
> more convenient for backups we don't want/need to keep around
> for more than a week or so.  It would also let me use dump(8)
> for incrementals.

dump can produce backups that cannot be restored apparently.[1] GNU tar in
incremental mode is slower but more reliable. If amanda[2] drove it, you
wouldn't even have to faff with the details either.

Jifl
[1] See the Linux section of
http://docs.warhead.org.uk/pkg-docs/amanda/SYSTEM.NOTES
[2] http://www.amanda.org/

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-16  1:05       ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2004-01-16  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:26:55PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I think I am soon going to take the drastic measure of eliminating some
> of the ezmlm archive data.  Does anyone have a serious problem with that?
> This would mean that you can't send email to ezmlm requesting the email
> messages from four years ago.  I don't think this is a popular feature
> but it's hard to know for sure.

If I accidentally delete a gcc-patches email before saving the patch somewhere,
I used to use that exmlm feature to retrieve patches in plaintext form.  Now
that we can click on "get message in raw text" there doesn't appear to be as
much of a need.

I wonder how many people get the "messages to you from this list have been
bouncing, here are the messages you missed" notification, and actually get
those messages.  Hmm.

--
Sometimes I drive to run from all my demons.
Sometimes I drive so I can be alone.

* Re: Archive bug-binutils?
@ 2004-01-16  3:40                 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2004-01-16  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: angela, overseers

On Jan 15, 2004, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:

> Angela Marie Thomas wrote:
>> I also have an old 8mm tape robot, now, that I'm going to see if
>> I can use (need to install a SCSI controller).  Tapes would be
>> more convenient for backups we don't want/need to keep around
>> for more than a week or so.  It would also let me use dump(8)
>> for incrementals.

> dump can produce backups that cannot be restored apparently.[1] GNU
> tar in incremental mode is slower but more reliable. If amanda[2]
> drove it, you wouldn't even have to faff with the details either.

And I'm told current versions of Amanda can prepare backup images at
appropriate sizes for burning CDs and/or DVDs.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}