* Whitelist and moderation together?
       [not found] <CADZpyiy5A80ebbJJw=AtWk+YtsVwZP+t_C1ytJyp99m6qnna4w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-09-22 15:50 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2011-09-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Roland McGrath, Ryan Arnold

Overseers,

Does ezmlm-idx support a whitelist in conjunction with moderation?

Currently the glibc community has libc-alpha under moderation.

However, there are some posters that should just be allowed to post
i.e. on a whitelist.

Cheers,
Carlos.
"One of the libc-apha moderators"

* Re: Whitelist and moderation together?
@ 2011-09-22 18:05   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-09-22 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers, Roland McGrath, Ryan Arnold

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:

> Does ezmlm-idx support a whitelist in conjunction with moderation?
>
> Currently the glibc community has libc-alpha under moderation.
>
> However, there are some posters that should just be allowed to post
> i.e. on a whitelist.

ezmlm supports having a set of moderators who are self-moderating: if a
message is received with their envelope sender address, they will be
asked to confirm that they sent it.

It would also be possible to say that any message with a given envelope
sender address should be forwarded to the list directly, e.g., by adding
some test of ezmlm-issubn to .qmail-libc-alpha, using yet another
mailing list for the list of approved posters.

Ian

* Re: Whitelist and moderation together?
@ 2011-09-23  0:28     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2011-09-23  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, roland, rsa, carlos, Roland McGrath

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:
>
>> Does ezmlm-idx support a whitelist in conjunction with moderation?
>>
>> Currently the glibc community has libc-alpha under moderation.
>>
>> However, there are some posters that should just be allowed to post
>> i.e. on a whitelist.
>
> ezmlm supports having a set of moderators who are self-moderating: if a
> message is received with their envelope sender address, they will be
> asked to confirm that they sent it.
>
> It would also be possible to say that any message with a given envelope
> sender address should be forwarded to the list directly, e.g., by adding
> some test of ezmlm-issubn to .qmail-libc-alpha, using yet another
> mailing list for the list of approved posters.

The "It would also be possible..."  solution sounds like it would do
what we want.

For example there are a handful of people like Ulrich, Roland, etc.
whose emails should go directly to libc-alpha without moderation.

Is the "yet another" mailing list used only for logical comparison
e.g. If the envelope sender is in this additional mailing list then
don't moderate and send directly?

Is what were asking for a common request or not?

Does what we're asking for make sense (ignoring the issue of
moderation making sense or not)?

Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Whitelist and moderation together?
@ 2011-09-23  5:08       ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-09-23  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers, roland, rsa, Roland McGrath

"Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
>> "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> writes:
>>
>>> Does ezmlm-idx support a whitelist in conjunction with moderation?
>>>
>>> Currently the glibc community has libc-alpha under moderation.
>>>
>>> However, there are some posters that should just be allowed to post
>>> i.e. on a whitelist.
>>
>> ezmlm supports having a set of moderators who are self-moderating: if a
>> message is received with their envelope sender address, they will be
>> asked to confirm that they sent it.
>>
>> It would also be possible to say that any message with a given envelope
>> sender address should be forwarded to the list directly, e.g., by adding
>> some test of ezmlm-issubn to .qmail-libc-alpha, using yet another
>> mailing list for the list of approved posters.
>
> The "It would also be possible..."  solution sounds like it would do
> what we want.
>
> For example there are a handful of people like Ulrich, Roland, etc.
> whose emails should go directly to libc-alpha without moderation.
>
> Is the "yet another" mailing list used only for logical comparison
> e.g. If the envelope sender is in this additional mailing list then
> don't moderate and send directly?

Yes.

> Is what were asking for a common request or not?

No.  Most mailing lists on sourceware.org are not moderated in any case.