* RE: snapshot-2002-03-02 available
@ 2002-03-29 10:59 Crescioli, Phil
From: Crescioli, Phil @ 2002-03-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Hello all,
I am re-visiting some Win32 stuff and...
Can I use Posix Message Queues for Win32 to send/receive messages
between different processes in a single win32 box(ie; an MQ sender
process who
sends to a MQ reciever process)?

Or is Posix Message Queues for Win32 dependent on win32 pthreads making
this not yet possible due to PTHREADS_SHARED_PROCESS not yet
implemented?
Thanks,
Phil Crescioli

@ 2002-04-01  6:13 Aurelio Medina
From: Aurelio Medina @ 2002-04-01  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Crescioli, Phil, pthreads-win32

My POSIX MQ port depends on PThreads for Win32.  So until PTHREADS_SHARED_PROCESS is available the implementation works only between threads.

Aurelio Medina

@ 2002-03-05 18:35     ` Scott McCaskill
From: Scott McCaskill @ 2002-03-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

> Unfortunately it then seems there is no way to list all of the
> individual source files (so they can be edited) except by
> running a build and then looking in the "External references"
> folder. Is there a way to gerate the external references list
> without running a build?

There is a good way to accomplish what (I think) you want:

1. Add all the source files to the project, including the ones that are
#included by pthread.c
2. In the workspace view, select all the files that are #included by
pthread.c (i.e. the ones you don't want MSVC to compile directly)
3. Right click on one of those files, select "Settings.."
4. Under the "General" tab, select "Exclude file from build" (probably also
want to have "All configurations" selected when you do this)

--Scott McCaskill

* Re: snapshot-2002-03-02 available
@ 2002-03-04 14:57 ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2002-03-04 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Crescioli, Phil; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Hi,

http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/contributors.html

>  Unfortunately some of my code works by sending data via
> message queues
> between threads of different processes.  Any idea if your going to
> support
> _POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED in a near future release?
> Thanks,
> Phil Crescioli

As you know, there has been an attempt in the past to
include message queues.

Aurelio Medina <AMedina at xcaliber dot com> wrote an
implementation but unfortunately it relied on process shared
mutexes etc, which aren't supported by pthreads-win32.
Although, it did work for single process applications.

See thread starting at

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/pthreads-win32/2001/msg00085.html

Process shared objects would have to be the next major
ToDo for pthreads-win32 because there isn't a lot more that
can be added to the library without them. A few people have
been looking for message queues and possibly many others
who have considered pthreads-win32 and then silently moved
on.

I'm not sure if this is possible to do while supporting the
full POSIX semantics, but perhaps a restricted version might
be possible making use of Win32 named objects, putting
just the names into shared memory. The starting point
would have to be process shared semaphores, then the
other devices would start to fall into place.

I'll have to check over past discussion of this issue, but
I seem to recall some of the reasons it hasn't been done
yet are:

- technical feasibility. Anything is possible, but will it
  maximise the return on the investment :^);
- low priority. People who are willing to contribute
  time to the library don't need the feature themselves;
- it may start to pull in parts of the POSIX standard
  that are beyond the intended scope of the library,
  i.e. shared memory routines, even message queues.

Have you looked at other POSIX compatibility projects
such as Cygwin or UWIN?

Regards.
Ross

@ 2002-03-04  7:01 Crescioli, Phil
From: Crescioli, Phil @ 2002-03-04  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Ross,
Your win32pthreads lib saved me so much time porting my threaded code
from unix
to windows!  Unfortunately some of my code works by sending data via

@ 2002-03-02 19:56   ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2002-03-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Sweeney; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Thanks. Although it isn't necessary to specify pthread.def anymore,
which has therefore been removed from the package.

You can also replace all source files with just pthread.c. This
#includes all other source files. The reason for this is to
maximise the potential for inlining under /O2. (As I understand it,
inlining can only occur within the same "translation unit".)

@ 2002-03-02  3:35 ` Vincent Sweeney