* Thank you guys, thank you!
@ 2000-07-20  2:17 Hugues Talbot
From: Hugues Talbot @ 2000-07-20  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

	Hello

	I'd like to thank all the developers, testers, participants,
etc, of the pthread library for win32.

	I was expecting to spend days, if not weeks to port this
largish application from Unix to Windows, which of course makes
heavy uses of threads, mutexes, etc. Not to mention sockets, and
it's a GUI application...

	libpthread32 made it a breeze. Not a single problem, just
a straight recompile!

For the record, I'm using mingw32, both natively on windows (this
is one verrry slooow compiler, my God) and as a cross-compiler from
Linux. The base compiler is gcc-2.95.2 with latest patches and
libraries from Mumit Khan. I got libpthread working both with
the CRTDLL and the MSVCRT back end, on windows NT 4.0. I used the
excellent advice from Thomas Sailer to produce the libpthread.a
to compile against, which should be in the FAQ I guess.

The GUI is using FLTK (www.fltk.org). Recommended if you are going
to do some cross-platform GUI work.

	Now for some additional question: how is it possible to compile
against the pthread.lib, not the DLL, to produce a (more) static
executable, so that I don't have to ship pthread.dll? Sorry if this
is an elementary question, I'm new to this.

	Also, does anyone know of a useful implementation of the
fork() Unix system call ?

	And finally, does anyone know of an implementation of
POSIX shared memory scheme for windows?

	Mainly I'd like to thank you guys so much again!

--------
Hugues Talbot, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Locked Bag 17, Building E6B, Macquarie University  North Ryde
NSW  2113  Australia           Ph: 61 2 9325 3208 Fax: 61 2 9325 3200

"Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know."
Louis Armstrong, in response to the question "What is Jazz?"

* Re: Thank you guys, thank you!
@ 2000-07-20  4:17 ` Ales Pour
From: Ales Pour @ 2000-07-20  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

>         Now for some additional question: how is it possible to compile
> against the pthread.lib, not the DLL, to produce a (more) static
> executable, so that I don't have to ship pthread.dll? Sorry if this
> is an elementary question, I'm new to this.

As far as I know, .lib files are import libraries that doesn't contain
any code (which resides in according .dll); there's no way to have win32
static binary as we know it from unix...

>         Also, does anyone know of a useful implementation of the
> fork() Unix system call ?

Have a look at CreateProcess().

>         And finally, does anyone know of an implementation of
> POSIX shared memory scheme for windows?

Don't know, sorry.

Regards,
	Ales

* Re: [pthread-win32] Re: Thank you guys, thank you!
@ 2000-07-20 12:45   ` Tristan Savatier
From: Tristan Savatier @ 2000-07-20 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ales Pour; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Ales Pour wrote:

> >         Now for some additional question: how is it possible to compile
> > against the pthread.lib, not the DLL, to produce a (more) static
> > executable, so that I don't have to ship pthread.dll? Sorry if this
> > is an elementary question, I'm new to this.
>
> As far as I know, .lib files are import libraries that doesn't contain
> any code (which resides in according .dll); there's no way to have win32
> static binary as we know it from unix...

What do you mean ?

We are using static pthread.lib libraries in our Windows development,
and it works just fine.  our application is linked with
pthread.lib and does not require any pthread.dll.

pthread.lib was generated like any other .lib library, by
linking together all the .obj files of the pthread package.

The only special thing that we had to do is:

the application must call _pthread_processInitialize()
before calling any other pthread_win32 function.

Normally this routine is called automatically when the dll is
attached, so here it must be called explicitely.

-t

* [pthread-win32] Unsubscribe
@ 2000-07-20 12:47     ` Xianglong Huang
From: Xianglong Huang @ 2000-07-20 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

please remove me from the maillist. Thanks.

Long

* Re: Thank you guys, thank you!
@ 2000-07-20  5:49 ` Ales Pour
From: Ales Pour @ 2000-07-20  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Hicham Bouhmadi wrote:
> 1- About static librairies. There is static librairies on Win32. You create

Thanks a lot for this info!

> 2- About fork(). the meaning of fork has nothing to do with CreateProcess.

Yes, you're right... I should think twice before posting... sorry.

A.

* RE: Thank you guys, thank you!
@ 2000-07-20  5:00 Hicham Bouhmadi
From: Hicham Bouhmadi @ 2000-07-20  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ales Pour', pthreads-win32

1- About static librairies. There is static librairies on Win32. You create
them using the MS link executable without the switch -dll
Note that not all dll can compiled as static librairies. dll that exploits
the fact that they are dll (use of attachement / detachement, dll segment as
the data_seg...etc) can't be compiled as librairies.

2- About fork(). the meaning of fork has nothing to do with CreateProcess.
Among other, there is no parent-child relationship on the Win32 processes.
It's quite hard to simulate a fork() on Win32. Cygnus does it on cygwin but
with many extra-work than simply calling CreateProcess...