* RE: pthreads on Win2k
@ 2001-03-23  1:35 Steve Croall
From: Steve Croall @ 2001-03-23  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Funnell'; +Cc: 'pthreads-win32@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I have run a pthreaded application successfully on win2k as well as windows
NT.  The application was originally developed in NT.

Steve.

From: Stephen R. Johns @ 2001-03-23  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Croall
  Cc: 'John Funnell', 'pthreads-win32@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Probably not related, but just in case...

I've been trying to port a linux program to pthreadw32, and found
a mutex issue/difference.

Linux allows threads other than the locking thread to unlock a mutex,
but pthreads does not.  So if you are trying to do that, your
unlocks never work.

Steve Croall wrote:

> I have run a pthreaded application successfully on win2k as well as windows
> NT.  The application was originally developed in NT.
>
> Steve.

* Re: pthreads on Win2k
@ 2001-03-23  6:54   ` Scott McCaskill
From: Scott McCaskill @ 2001-03-23  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

On the face of it, this seems like a bad idea--why would you want to do
such a thing?  This isn't derision, I'm just curious.

On the original subject, I've also been using pthreads on win2k for ~8
months now and haven't had any problems.  I've only used it on single
processor machines.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Stephen R. Johns wrote:

> Probably not related, but just in case...
>
> I've been trying to port a linux program to pthreadw32, and found
> a mutex issue/difference.
>
> Linux allows threads other than the locking thread to unlock a mutex,
> but pthreads does not.  So if you are trying to do that, your
> unlocks never work.

* Re: pthreads on Win2k
@ 2001-03-23  7:13     ` Stephen R. Johns
From: Stephen R. Johns @ 2001-03-23  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott McCaskill; +Cc: pthreads-win32

As I said, I am porting this, and I have been debating this
myself.  It certainly does not seem like a very good idea.
Obviously, the Linux implementers think there is some use.
I can't think of any scenario where this would not be risky
and problematic, but who knows, maybe there is special need
in device drivers, or some equally odd thing that I don't
ever work with.  I will say, even if you can think of a special
case or two where this would be a legit idea, the stuff I am
having to deal with is NOT in any of those categories.  I've
never heard of or seen anything like it before.

Scott McCaskill wrote:

> On the face of it, this seems like a bad idea--why would you want to do
> such a thing?  This isn't derision, I'm just curious.
>
> On the original subject, I've also been using pthreads on win2k for ~8
> months now and haven't had any problems.  I've only used it on single
> processor machines.
>
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Stephen R. Johns wrote:
>

>> Probably not related, but just in case...
>>
>> I've been trying to port a linux program to pthreadw32, and found
>> a mutex issue/difference.
>>
>> Linux allows threads other than the locking thread to unlock a mutex,
>> but pthreads does not.  So if you are trying to do that, your
>> unlocks never work.

* Re: [pthread-win32] Re: pthreads on Win2k
@ 2001-03-23 12:58   ` Tristan Savatier
From: Tristan Savatier @ 2001-03-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen R. Johns
  Cc: Steve Croall, 'John Funnell',

Stephen R. Johns wrote:

> Probably not related, but just in case...
>
> I've been trying to port a linux program to pthreadw32, and found
> a mutex issue/difference.
>
> Linux allows threads other than the locking thread to unlock a mutex,
> but pthreads does not.

I don't recall that the POSIX standard places a restriction on
which thread can unlock a mutex, but it does not look like good
programming style to have a mutex locked and unlocked by different
threads..

If posix-thread places a restriction that is not defined by the
standard, it should be documented.  It does not look like this
one is a real problem... looks like POSIX should have put the
restriction in the standard!  I suppose that the underlying win32
threads do have this restriction.

-t