* How is pthread_self() implemented?
@ 2003-08-31 17:52 Chris Seaton
From: Chris Seaton @ 2003-08-31 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

I'm writing my own (very lightweight) threading library for Windows and
POSIX threads. There are reasons why I can't use pthreads-win32, but
they aren't important here. I'm currently implementing a ThisThread()
routine. With POSIX threads I simply call pthread_self(), but I'm stuck
for Windows.

Originally I called GetCurrentThread(), but that returns a pseudo
handle, so I call DuplicateHandle(), as this pthreads-win32 library
uses.

However, DuplicateHandle() creates a new handle every time it is called,
so I can't compare them. Basically

ThisThread() != ThisThread()

How does the pthreads-win32 library solve this problem?
--
Chris Seaton

chris@chrisseaton.com
http://www.chrisseaton.com/

* Re: How is pthread_self() implemented?
@ 2003-09-01  4:33 ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2003-09-01  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Seaton; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Chris Seaton wrote:

>I'm writing my own (very lightweight) threading library for Windows and
>POSIX threads. There are reasons why I can't use pthreads-win32, but
>they aren't important here. I'm currently implementing a ThisThread()
>routine. With POSIX threads I simply call pthread_self(), but I'm stuck
>for Windows.
>
>Originally I called GetCurrentThread(), but that returns a pseudo
>handle, so I call DuplicateHandle(), as this pthreads-win32 library
>uses.
>
>However, DuplicateHandle() creates a new handle every time it is called,
>so I can't compare them. Basically
>
>ThisThread() != ThisThread()
>
>How does the pthreads-win32 library solve this problem?

Pthreads-win32 keeps a POSIX thread struct in which it stores the handle
returned by the original Win32 CreateThread(). The pointer to the POSIX
struct is kept in TLS (TSD) so that other pthread library functions can
refer to that struct.

John Bossom's original design also allows for pre-existing Win32 threads
to use any POSIX routines, and therefore fully interact with POSIX
threads, by creating a one-time-only on-the-fly detached POSIX thread
handle for the Win32 thread. In this case, the library uses
DuplicateHandle(), which is sufficient for our purposes.

This is the logic you'll see in pthread_self.c at the following URL (all
one line):
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pthreads/pthread_self.c?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=pthreads-win32

Regards.
Ross

* Re: How is pthread_self() implemented?
@ 2003-09-01  4:41   ` Will Bryant
From: Will Bryant @ 2003-09-01  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

> John Bossom's original design also allows for pre-existing Win32 threads
> to use any POSIX routines, and therefore fully interact with POSIX
> threads, by creating a one-time-only on-the-fly detached POSIX thread
> handle for the Win32 thread.

So it is safe to use all pthreads-win32 functions from threads not created
using the pthreads interface?  I have an application where nearly all of the
code only needs to use standard windows threads, but there are a couple of
condition variables that I'd like to be able to use...

* Re: How is pthread_self() implemented?
@ 2003-09-01  7:22     ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2003-09-01  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Bryant; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Will Bryant wrote:

>>John Bossom's original design also allows for pre-existing Win32 threads
>>to use any POSIX routines, and therefore fully interact with POSIX
>>threads, by creating a one-time-only on-the-fly detached POSIX thread
>>handle for the Win32 thread.
>>

>So it is safe to use all pthreads-win32 functions from threads not created
>using the pthreads interface?  I have an application where nearly all of the
>code only needs to use standard windows threads, but there are a couple of
>condition variables that I'd like to be able to use...

Note that non-POSIX threads are regarded by pthreads-win32 as detached
and deferred-cancelable initially. However, I don't think there's any
reason a non-POSIX thread can't subsequently change it's cancelability
type. There's no way it can make itself joinable though. Apart from
that, just about everything should work.

In particular, for condition variables I haven't proven the following
but I believe it should all work properly. And since this should work,
then so should POSIX read-write locks. Note that you odn't need to
explicitly call pthread_self() unless you need the POSIX thread handle.
Any routine that needs it internally will cause the POSIX handle to be
created implicitly.

// Global

pthread_t    posixGuest[MAX_GUESTS];
pthread_mutex_t    CVLock = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
pthread_cond_t    CV = PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER;
int champaigneChilled = 0;
int cakeIced = 0;
int chaos = 0;
int mayhem = 0;
long    guest = 0;

// Thread A (Win32 or POSIX thread):

    // Party guest thread
    if ((guest = InterLockedIncremement(&guest)) >= MAX_GUESTS)
        return(gateCrasher);
    posixGuest[guest] = pthread_self();    // Only needed sometimes e.g.
see thread D
    // Mingle
    pthread_mutex_lock(&CVLock);
    pthread_cleanup_push(pthread_mutex_unlock(&CVLock));
    while ( ! (champaigneChilled && cakeIced ) ) {
        pthread_cond_wait(&CV, &CVLock);
    }
    pthread_cleanup_pop(1);

    toastBirthdaySubject();
    eatCake();

// Thread B (Win32 or POSIX thread):

    // Ice cake thread
    cakeIced = 1;
    pthread_cond_broadcast(&CV);

// Thread C (Win32 or POSIX thread):

    // Chill champaigne thread
    champaigeChilled = 1;
    pthread_cond_broadcast(&CV);

// Thread D (Win32 or POSIX thread):

    // Monitor party thread
    if (chaos && meyhem) {
        // Evict our guests
        for (i = 0; i < MAX_GUESTS && pthread_kill(posixGuest[i], 0) ==
0; i++)
            pthread_cancel(posixGuest[i]);

Regards.
Ross

* Re: How is pthread_self() implemented?
@ 2003-09-01 15:49       ` Ross Johnson
From: Ross Johnson @ 2003-09-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpj; +Cc: Will Bryant, pthreads-win32

Ross Johnson wrote:

> Will Bryant wrote:
>
>>> John Bossom's original design also allows for pre-existing Win32
>>> threads
>>> to use any POSIX routines, and therefore fully interact with POSIX
>>> threads, by creating a one-time-only on-the-fly detached POSIX thread
>>> handle for the Win32 thread.
>>>

>> So it is safe to use all pthreads-win32 functions from threads not
>> created
>> using the pthreads interface?  I have an application where nearly all
>> of the
>> code only needs to use standard windows threads, but there are a
>> couple of
>> condition variables that I'd like to be able to use...
>>
> Note that non-POSIX threads are regarded by pthreads-win32 as detached
> and deferred-cancelable initially. However, I don't think there's any
> reason a non-POSIX thread can't subsequently change it's cancelability
> type. There's no way it can make itself joinable though. Apart from
> that, just about everything should work.
>
> In particular, for condition variables I haven't proven the following
> but I believe it should all work properly. And since this should work,
> then so should POSIX read-write locks. Note that you odn't need to
> explicitly call pthread_self() unless you need the POSIX thread
> handle. Any routine that needs it internally will cause the POSIX
> handle to be created implicitly.

When I thought about this some more I realised that you won't be able to
cancel an 'implicit' POSIX thread as I've claimed in the code below.
Cancelation in pthreads-win32 depends on establishing a setjmp point (or
a catch clause in the case of the C++/SEH versions of the library). This
is done inside of the POSIX thread startup code and so there won't be
one for 'implicit' POSIX threads.

For now therefore, the library should probably be fixed to initialise
'implicit' POSIX handles with cancelation type PTHREAD_CANCEL_DISABLE,
and prevent threads from changing this value subsequently.

Otherwise, the rest of it should work.

Regards.
Ross