From: Ross Johnson <rpj@callisto.canberra.edu.au>
To: "'pthreads-win32@sources.redhat.com'"
	<pthreads-win32@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: pthread_cond_broadcast(...) leads to a deadlock
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Alex Kotliarov wrote:

>   - any reason why  pthread_mutex_lock (cleanup_args->mutexPtr) was moved
>to the top? Algorithm 8A has this line at the bottom of
>	ptw32_cond_wait_cleanup()

I read, in an authoritative forum, that the external mutex is required
to be held during cv cancel cleanup. The cleanup routine is also part of
the normal cv wake-up logic but the change passed the test suite and so
it seemed safe. I don't know if it's still a potential conformance
problem, but this change obviously wasn't the solution.

The current version of pthread_cond_wait.c with the change undone is in CVS:
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pthreads/pthread_cond_wait.c?rev=1.8&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=pthreads-win32

Apologies.
Ross