* Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads
@ 2004-01-09 16:58 Nedko Arnaudov
From: Nedko Arnaudov @ 2004-01-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

Is there Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads ?
I currently want only condition variable. If not (expected), will it be
violation of LGPL if I use code from pthreads-win32 in kernel mode
driver for Windows ? If it is legal, I'd like to know about any caveats
that you expect I'll fall into when porting condition variable code into
Windows Kernel mode.
--
Nedko Arnaudov

* Re: Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads
@ 2004-01-09 17:09 ` Phil Frisbie, Jr.
From: Phil Frisbie, Jr. @ 2004-01-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nedko Arnaudov; +Cc: pthreads-win32

Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> Is there Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads ?

Is one needed? I must admit I do not know all the rules of Windows kernel mode
programming.

> I currently want only condition variable.

It is not too hard to port condition variables over to Windows events if that is
all you need.

> If not (expected), will it be
> violation of LGPL if I use code from pthreads-win32 in kernel mode
> driver for Windows ?

If you need to 'cut and paste' then you will need to publish your source code,
but if you use pthreads-win32 as a DLL you do not.

--
Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software

* Re: Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads
@ 2004-01-09 18:03 ` Alexander Terekhov
From: Alexander Terekhov @ 2004-01-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nedko Arnaudov; +Cc: pthreads-win32

To my knowledge, the algorithm is not protected (one would need
a patent for that). It's in public domain.

Here's sort of "publications":

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3A926D2A.25CC8DA9%40web.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3AEAC433.1595FF4%40web.de

regards,
alexander.

* Re: Windows kernel-mode implementation of pthreads
@ 2004-01-09 18:13   ` Alexander Terekhov
From: Alexander Terekhov @ 2004-01-09 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Frisbie, Jr.; +Cc: Nedko Arnaudov, pthreads-win32

"Phil Frisbie, Jr." wrote:
[...]
> > If not (expected), will it be violation of LGPL
> > if I use code from pthreads-win32 in kernel mode
> > driver for Windows ?
>
> If you need to 'cut and paste' then you will need
> to publish your source code, ...

Not necessarily.

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise9.html

<quote>

II.E.2. Idea-Expression Merger and Scènes À Faire

When there are only a limited number of ways that a
concept or idea can be expressed, there is little
difference between the idea and its expression, and
it is therefore said that the two have "merged."
When this happens, the limited number of ways of
expressing the idea are not entitled to copyright
protection because, in essence, that would be
protecting the idea, something outside the scope of
copyright. The merger doctrine means that even if
things are substantially similar, or even identical,
there might not be a copyright infringement.

</quote>

regards,
alexander.