* Integrated documentation
@ 2002-02-20  6:02 Keith Willis
From: Keith Willis @ 2002-02-20  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pthreads-win32

I guess this could be _slightly_ off-topic for the list, but...

Can anyone point me at resources that might explain how to extend the
standard help available from within Visual Studio, if such a thing is
possible?

What I would very much like to do is to have a set of help pages, not
unlike the standard UNIX man pages, for the pthread-win32 functions
and data types, and fully ingtegrate these within the normal Visual
Studio help.  It would be completely cool to have the function
prototype pop up when one 'hovers' over a call to the function, or to
get the man page when you hit F1 on a function, and so on.

If, perchance someone has already invented this particular wheel, I
would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction for a
copy.  If I have to 'invent' it myself, I shall be delighted to
release whatever I come up with to the pthreads-win32 community...

Oh, one final and unrelated point; the list address apears to have
changed from pthreads-win32@sources.cygnus.com to
pthreads-win32@sourceware.cygnus.com - was this a 'silent' change?

TIA.
--
"On Usenet, silence very rarely signifies assent." - Ray Depew

* Re: Integrated documentation
@ 2002-02-20 10:16 ` Timo K Suoranta
From: Timo K Suoranta @ 2002-02-20 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Willis; +Cc: pthreads-win32

> Studio help.  It would be completely cool to have the function
> prototype pop up when one 'hovers' over a call to the function, or to

This already happens if you build browse info for you project. Additional
documentation can be made to be shown in hovering tooltiplike if there is
documenatation in front of the function somewhere with a proper format.

I think the format which Visual C supports is something like

/* Documentation
 *
 */

of /** documentation */ or /*! documenatation */ .. I don't which format
it was, but I encountered this accidentally. Also I'm not sure but I guess
this requires browse info and browse info file to exist.

> release whatever I come up with to the pthreads-win32 community...

A manual in the windows help file format (and many others) can be created
with a program called Doxygen. Use google to find. It is a great thing. In
fact Doxygen supports the same format which Visual C does for it's extra
reatures I think.

-- Timo Suoranta -- tksuoran@cc.helsinki.fi --