public inbox for rhug-rhats@sourceware.org
From: Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
To: Don Smith <smithdc@UMDNJ.EDU>
Cc: rhug-rhats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: tomcat 4 jsp compilation status?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 13:33, Don Smith wrote:
> What's the status of a gcj version of tomcat that can support jsps?
> Is it possible, if not what needs to be done?

It's been a while since I looked at that (even though it would be really
cool to get this working).

When I did start looking at it, I went about it the wrong way -- setting
up tomcat to compile the jsp code to .so immediately.  Unfortunately,
tomcat has many built in assumptions about the compiler generating
.class files which it then manipulates (or just moves around, I think).

It makes better sense to do this in baby steps.  First get tomcat to
compile jsp code to bytecode with 'gcj -C' and have everything work with
the gcj interpreter.

Once that all works, perhaps we can figure out a good way to compile the
.class files to .so.  I'm thinking this should be an extra step once the
.class file is copied into the desired location by tomcat.

It would be great if somebody (like you!) could spend a little time
trying to get this to work.  I'd be happy to help this person (like
you!) along.

AG