public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 19:46 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2004-02-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

Hi,

I have compiled and installed sid (./configure; make;
make install) but i cant run it.

My configuration file looks like this:

load librtc.la rtc_component_library
load libtclapi.la tcl_bridge_library
new hw-rtc-sid rtc
new hw-visual-clock rtc-gui
relate rtc-gui "your rtc friend" rtc

When i try to run sid with this file i get:

$ sid test.sid
test.sid:1: dlsym of rtc_component_library in
component library dso librtc.la failed: sid: undefined
symbol: rtc_component_library
test.sid:2: dlsym of tcl_bridge_library in component
library dso libtclapi.la failed: sid: undefined
symbol: tcl_bridge_library
test.sid:4: component type hw-rtc-sid unknown
test.sid:5: component type hw-visual-clock unknown
test.sid:6: component rtc-gui not found
Configuration error.  Aborting.
$

But I saw those symbols are indeed present in the
libraries....

Any idea what the problem might be ?

Thanks

--
Fabrice

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 21:29 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-02-13 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

Fabrice Gautier <droopycom@yahoo.com> writes:

> I have compiled and installed sid (./configure; make; make install)
> but i cant run it.

What host system are you running on?

Ben

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 21:33 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-02-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: sid

Hi -

> I have compiled and installed sid (./configure; make;
> make install) but i cant run it.
> [...]
> load librtc.la rtc_component_library
> [...]
> $ sid test.sid
> test.sid:1: dlsym of rtc_component_library in
> component library dso librtc.la failed: sid: undefined
> symbol: rtc_component_library
> [...]

This sort of thing happens most frequently if the runtime
installation paths don't match the compile-time prefix.
Consider running sid under a tracing tool like strace
(if your platform has it).  If nothing else helps, you
can recompile sid with static linking (configure with
--disable-shared).

- FChE

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 21:43   ` Scott Dattalo
From: Scott Dattalo @ 2004-02-13 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sid

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > I have compiled and installed sid (./configure; make;
> > make install) but i cant run it.
> > [...]
> > load librtc.la rtc_component_library
> > [...]
> > $ sid test.sid
> > test.sid:1: dlsym of rtc_component_library in
> > component library dso librtc.la failed: sid: undefined
> > symbol: rtc_component_library
> > [...]
>
> This sort of thing happens most frequently if the runtime
> installation paths don't match the compile-time prefix.
> Consider running sid under a tracing tool like strace
> (if your platform has it).  If nothing else helps, you
> can recompile sid with static linking (configure with
> --disable-shared).

It's probably a case of not having a path to the libraries. Add the path
to rtc_component_library to the file /etc/ld.so.conf and then run (as
root)  /bin/ldconfig . You probably can google around and find an example.
But here's something I wrote to another mailing list that addresses this
issue:

http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/1/2503

Scott

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 21:52     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-02-13 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Dattalo; +Cc: sid

Hi -

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:43:48PM -0800, Scott Dattalo wrote:
> It's probably a case of not having a path to the libraries. Add the path
> to rtc_component_library to the file /etc/ld.so.conf [...]

SID is different in this respect because these shared libraries
are opened up via dlopen() at runtime, and there is code in sid
that tries hard to find the specific directories.  If it was working
correctly, this ld.so.conf change should not be necessary.

- FChE

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 22:01       ` Scott Dattalo
From: Scott Dattalo @ 2004-02-13 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: sid

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:43:48PM -0800, Scott Dattalo wrote:
> > It's probably a case of not having a path to the libraries. Add the path
> > to rtc_component_library to the file /etc/ld.so.conf [...]
>
> SID is different in this respect because these shared libraries
> are opened up via dlopen() at runtime, and there is code in sid
> that tries hard to find the specific directories.  If it was working
> correctly, this ld.so.conf change should not be necessary.

OTOH, if there was a path to the libraries, then SID wouldn't have to work
hard at all :). ld.so.conf works for dlopen()'d files too!

Scott

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 22:04         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-02-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Dattalo; +Cc: sid

Hi -

> OTOH, if there was a path to the libraries, then SID wouldn't have to work
> hard at all :). ld.so.conf works for dlopen()'d files too!

True, but OTOTOH, sid is a user-level application and should not
require sysadmin assistance to run properly.

- FChE

* Re: Error when executin sid
@ 2004-02-13 22:53   ` Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2004-02-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

Hi,

I run strace and Indeed this seems to be the case
where it doenst find the library.

I build and installed sid with just ./configure,
without specifying any prefix so thats it is installed
in /usr/local, but when it trie to open the library it
does:

open("NONE/lib/sidcomp/librtc.la", O_RDONLY)

I guess this none should have been replaced with
/usr/local

I'll try to rebuild specifying an explicit prefix.

Thanks

-- Fabrice

@ 2004-02-13 23:03     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2004-02-13 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)