public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* component documentation
@ 2001-01-22 23:15 Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2001-01-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

I'm thinking that the current format ("structured" plain text) doesn't cut
it.  There are things that would be nice, like hyperlinks to manufacturer
documentation and related components.

I have been giving some thought to writing an XML DTD for component
documentation.  What do you all think?

Ben

* Re: component documentation
@ 2001-01-23 11:50 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2001-01-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sid

Hi -

bje wrote:
: [...]
: I have been giving some thought to writing an XML DTD for component
: documentation.  What do you all think?
: [...]

Go go go.  Do you have an intended application in mind?  (I suppose
an obvious one is documentation generation.)

One cool thing about XML is that you can start writing workable XML
documents, and not worry about the formal DTD until later.  It's too
bad that XSL engines are not standard OS tools yet.

- FChE
--

* Re: component documentation
@ 2001-01-23 13:07 ` Patrick Macdonald
From: Patrick Macdonald @ 2001-01-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sid

Ben Elliston wrote:

> I'm thinking that the current format ("structured" plain text) doesn't cut
> it.  There are things that would be nice, like hyperlinks to manufacturer
> documentation and related components.

As long as the manufacturer documentation is local, hyperlinks are a great
idea.  If we have links to web sites we don't control, the pointers will get
stale pretty fast.

Kudos for hyperlinked related components.

Patrick