public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
* --gdb and --persistent
@ 2004-02-23 21:30 Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2004-02-23 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

Hi,

Currently, specifying the --gdb option for SID also results in the
application of the --persistent option. There is currently no way to
remotely stop the SID process when it is persistent, other than killing
the process.

I have a customer who would like to have control over this behaviour.
i.e. he would like SID to die when GDB does. The best scenario would be
if there is some GDB remote protocal packet that gets sent to the target
when GDB terminates (as opposed to when it detaches as the program
ends). Is there such a packet?

If not, some options for improving this are:

1) Do not apply --persistent automatically when --gdb is specified. The
current behavior could still be achieved by specifying --persistent
explicitely.
2) Add a --no-persistent option which could be specified to cancel the
effect of the implied --persistent.

I prefer option 1), although it could have an effect on existing
scripts, etc. which run sid.

Other options, ideas?

Dave

* Re: --gdb and --persistent
@ 2004-02-25  1:22 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2004-02-25  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sid

Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com> writes:

> 1) Do not apply --persistent automatically when --gdb is
> specified. The current behavior could still be achieved by
> specifying --persistent explicitely.
> 2) Add a --no-persistent option which could be specified to cancel
> the effect of the implied --persistent.

> I prefer option 1), although it could have an effect on existing
> scripts, etc. which run sid.

I prefer (1) as well.

Ben