From: Nacho de los Ríos Tormo <irios@proin.es>
To: sourcenav@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Weird permissions in SN5
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 05:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I have downloaded the Snav5 binary for Linux with great anticipation, and
have uncompressed the tar.gz file to /opt/snavigator .

I can start the program with /opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator only when root,
because files belong to user 1105 in group 1002, neither of which exist in my
system. This disallows me to execute Snav5 as a user. However, it DOES work
when called by root -- though this is useless to me, because my personal
directory resides in a network server, and it is unavailable for my station's
root user.

To chown everything to root.root is not enough, because the file permissions
are wrong for users not in the group, and access is disalowed.

Chowning to root.users looked as it might have worked, but then
/opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator  originates an inmediate segmentation fault.
chmod  everything to 755 also produces a segmentation fault.

Finally, I created a "snavigator" user 1105 and a "snavigator" group 1002 and
added my own user to the snavigator group. Time for segmentation fault again!

This is happening on SuSE Linux 7.0

What else can I do?

Thanks a lot,

Nacho de los Ríos Tormo