* Building libraries
@ 2001-05-12 12:49 punt
From: punt @ 2001-05-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

As anyone gotten 5.0 to successfully build a library?  I noticed the link
option between library and executable is grayed, but still selectable. When I
select library, and do a build, it bombs at the link process (it is not
asking gcc or the librarian to create the lib file).

Anyone else have this ?

Charles

* Re: Building libraries
@ 2001-05-14  9:44 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-05-14  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: punt; +Cc: sourcenav

punt wrote:

> As anyone gotten 5.0 to successfully build a library?  I noticed the link
> option between library and executable is grayed, but still selectable. When I
> select library, and do a build, it bombs at the link process (it is not
> asking gcc or the librarian to create the lib file).

The library building bits need to be revisited.  I'm not sure
what problem you are having, but it may be related to flag order
problems with the linker flags.

When I wrote the backend build system I didn't pay attention
to flag ordering and it seems "ar"  needs flags in a certain
order.  This probably won't get fixed until a build engine
rewrite.

Ian.

* Re: Building libraries
@ 2001-05-14 15:49   ` punt
From: punt @ 2001-05-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough, punt; +Cc: sourcenav

Well, I am not sure that is the issue.  It looks as if ar is never called,
but the linker is:

gcc -r ../bin/libdatastore.a diskmulstor.o mapdatadisk.o
gcc: ../bin/libdatastore.a: No such file or directory

Note that ../bin/libdatastore.a is the library I am attempting to build. Even
though I selected library in the link options, it is as if it was not
accepted (As I stated before, the selection was "grayed", but one could
select and change it).  This wasn't a problem on 4.52.

On Monday 14 May 2001 11:43, Ian Roxborough wrote:
> punt wrote:
> > As anyone gotten 5.0 to successfully build a library?  I noticed the link
> > option between library and executable is grayed, but still selectable.
> > When I select library, and do a build, it bombs at the link process (it
> > is not asking gcc or the librarian to create the lib file).
>
> The library building bits need to be revisited.  I'm not sure
> what problem you are having, but it may be related to flag order
> problems with the linker flags.
>
> When I wrote the backend build system I didn't pay attention
> to flag ordering and it seems "ar"  needs flags in a certain
> order.  This probably won't get fixed until a build engine
> rewrite.
>
> Ian.

* RE: Building libraries
@ 2001-05-16  0:11 Buczko, Michal
From: Buczko, Michal @ 2001-05-16  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

I had a simmilar problem with building a library using sn and after changing
linker from 'gcc' to 'ar' is seems to work perfectly but i think there is
another bug. building executable file gcc was unable to generete output
because all libraries i want to include are added to command line like this:

gcc -o ble ble1.o ble2.o /usr/lib/libncurses.a /usr/lib/libgcontrol.a

this causes lots of conflicts (no matter what is the order of these
libraries), but after replacing /usr/lib/libncurses.a with -lncurses and
/usr/lib/libgcontrol.a with -lgcontrol everything goes ok. that`s way i
wrote a simple patch that renames all included libraries from
/usr/lib/lib*.a to -l*. it isn`t too flexible but it should work.

file: gui/buildtarget.tcl

  method GetLibraryFiles {} {
        regsub -all -nocase {(/usr/lib/lib)([^\.]+)(\.a)} ${LibFiles} {-l\2}
LibFiles   <---- added line
        return ${LibFiles}
  }

Best regards,