* RE: RPM package
@ 2000-08-01  1:18 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-08-01  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artem Khodush, sourcenav

Many thanks to you Artem!
	Now it's up to the sn team to integrate it directly into their CVS
repository.
	But I believe that this RPM distribution will fail cos' it's missing
the recent patches, won't it?

	William

From: Artem Khodush @ 2000-08-01 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer, sourcenav

> Now it's up to the sn team to integrate it directly into their CVS
> repository.

... if they find appropriate for themselves to maintain binary distribution.

> But I believe that this RPM distribution will fail cos' it's missing
> the recent patches, won't it?

When I wrote the spec file, there was no patches around, but it worked.
Anyway, before RPM distrubution becomes generally usable, some issues
should be sorted out, e.g. users expect the documentation for the package
FOO to appear in %{prefix}/doc/FOO, but sourcenav runtime help expects
it to be in %{prefix}/html. Also there might be a conflict between  tcl/tk
libraries wich are installed along with sourcenav and those already present
on user's system.

Best regards,
Artem.

* Re: RPM package
@ 2000-08-01 14:38   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-08-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artem Khodush, William Gacquer, sourcenav

At 01:40 AM 8/2/00 +0400, Artem Khodush wrote:
> > Now it's up to the sn team to integrate it directly into their CVS
> > repository.
>
>... if they find appropriate for themselves to maintain binary distribution.
>
> > But I believe that this RPM distribution will fail cos' it's missing
> > the recent patches, won't it?
>
>When I wrote the spec file, there was no patches around, but it worked.
>Anyway, before RPM distrubution becomes generally usable, some issues
>should be sorted out, e.g. users expect the documentation for the package
>FOO to appear in %{prefix}/doc/FOO, but sourcenav runtime help expects
>it to be in %{prefix}/html. Also there might be a conflict between  tcl/tk
>libraries wich are installed along with sourcenav and those already present
>on user's system.

One of the reasons we never bothered with a shared build is that we
currently rely on our own version of Tcl/Tk. It should not conflict with a
pre-installed version.

%prefix%/html is the standard that Cygnus has had for years, and is not
likely to change any time soon.

The biggest thing that needs to be fixed before we start distributing our
own RPMs is grep. You might have noticed we have our own grep, and it will
end up on your path. We have removed it in our development version, but
that version is not ready for prime time yet.

Also, please don't include %prefix%/bin/wish; it is only used for the SN
graphical installer. You don't want two wishes on the path.

>Best regards,
>Artem.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Infrastructure work
@ 2000-08-01 16:24     ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-08-01 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: sourcenav

   One of the reasons we never bothered with a shared build is that we
   currently rely on our own version of Tcl/Tk. It should not conflict
   with a pre-installed version.

Speaking of which, some thoughts I had yesterday on "big" infrastructure
work that really needs to be done:

	* Removing the dependency on Tix.

	* Removing the dependency on local changes to Tcl and Tk.

	* Making the extensions to the Tcl interpreter a loadable
	  library (ie. "hyper.so").

	* Making the syntax highlighters loadable libraries, too.

Thoughts?

Ben

* Re: Infrastructure work
@ 2000-08-01 16:27       ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-08-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sourcenav

At 09:24 AM 8/2/00 +1000, Ben Elliston wrote:
>    One of the reasons we never bothered with a shared build is that we
>    currently rely on our own version of Tcl/Tk. It should not conflict
>    with a pre-installed version.
>
>Speaking of which, some thoughts I had yesterday on "big" infrastructure
>work that really needs to be done:
>
>         * Removing the dependency on Tix.
>
>         * Removing the dependency on local changes to Tcl and Tk.
>
>         * Making the extensions to the Tcl interpreter a loadable
>           library (ie. "hyper.so").
>
>         * Making the syntax highlighters loadable libraries, too.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Ben

Yes, all of these need to be done. They are a lot of work.

@ 2000-08-01 16:51     ` Artem Khodush
From: Artem Khodush @ 2000-08-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Syd Polk wrote:
> One of the reasons we never bothered with a shared build is that we
> currently rely on our own version of Tcl/Tk. It should not conflict with a
> pre-installed version.
>
> %prefix%/html is the standard that Cygnus has had for years, and is not
> likely to change any time soon.
>
> The biggest thing that needs to be fixed before we start distributing our
> own RPMs is grep. You might have noticed we have our own grep, and it will
> end up on your path. We have removed it in our development version, but
> that version is not ready for prime time yet.
>
> Also, please don't include %prefix%/bin/wish; it is only used for the SN
> graphical installer. You don't want two wishes on the path.

Thanks for the corrections. Here's second try, in case if there is anyone
interested.

Best regards,
Artem.

[-- Attachment #2: sn.spec --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2467 bytes --]

[...]

%files
%{install_dir}/bin/abrowser
%{install_dir}/bin/cbrowser
%{install_dir}/bin/dbcp
%{install_dir}/bin/dbdump
%{install_dir}/bin/dbimp
%{install_dir}/bin/elix-link
%{install_dir}/bin/fbrowser
%{install_dir}/bin/grep
%{install_dir}/bin/hyper
%{install_dir}/bin/jbrowser
%{install_dir}/bin/obrowser
%{install_dir}/bin/snavigator
%{install_dir}/bin/tbrowser

@ 2000-08-02  0:35 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-08-02  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: sourcenav

   if there is any problem with grep, why don't you put it somewhere not
   in a regular PATH and invoke sn via a shell script that overload the
   PATH environment variable?

I would have thought this would be considered bad practice--and confusing to
users.  If I recall, we ran grep using the full path to the installed
(custom) grep.

As Mo says, it's all academic now.

Ben

* RE: RPM package
@ 2000-08-02  0:24 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-08-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: sourcenav

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, William Gacquer wrote:

> if there is any problem with grep, why don't you put it somewhere not in a
> regular PATH and invoke sn via a shell script that overload the PATH
> environment variable?

Because we already removed the need to a custom grep in the
5.0 development version. When it is ready, there should be
no problems with an RPM version that lives in /usr/bin.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* RE: RPM package
@ 2000-08-02  0:20 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-08-02  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-07-31 14:24 ` Artem Khodush
From: Artem Khodush @ 2000-07-31 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

@ 2000-07-31  5:30 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-07-31  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: sourcenav

   I have just had a look at it. It is rather thin... It probably was an
   attempt but it is not really usable.

It was used once, if I recall, to bundle S-N for inclusion on a Red Hat CD.
If you like, you could bring it up to date.

Cheers, Ben

* RE: RPM package
@ 2000-07-31  5:27 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-07-31  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sourcenav

From: Ben Elliston @ 2000-07-31  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Gacquer; +Cc: sourcenav

Hi William,

   	Now I am wondering if you will release RPM packages of it or if
   you could give us the RPM spec file so that we could build our own
   packages.

In the source tree, you will find a .spec file for building an RPM in
snavigator/misc/tools/sn.spec.  I don't know how up to date it is, but it
should be a very good start--why don't you take a look at that?

Cheers, Ben

* RPM package
@ 2000-07-31  2:16 William Gacquer
From: William Gacquer @ 2000-07-31  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello
	It is a gift of gods that you placed sourcenavigator under the GNU
license. Thanks!

	Now I am wondering if you will release RPM packages of it or if you
could give us the RPM spec file so that we could build our own packages.

	Best regards and all the best to the former cygnus team that helped
me a lot during my PhD thesis.

	William

William Gacquer
Rayman 2 PS2 team - Ubi Simulations - Annecy France