* Newbie question: SN customizability
@ 2001-03-05 12:14 Alain Desilets
From: Alain Desilets @ 2001-03-05 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi everyone,

I am coordinating an open source project called VoiceCode which aims at
building toolbox for programming-by-voice (i.e. writing software by
talking to your computer instead of typing). See url below for details:

http://ii2.ai.iit.nrc.ca/VoiceCode/

Our first target editor for this environment is Emacs, because of its
high custimizability. But some MS DevStudio users have complained that
Emacs is not graphical enough and is not as tightly integrated with
compilers as it should. So I'm looking at SourceNavigator as an
alternative.

I have two concerns:

1. How does SN's customizability compare to Emacs? For example, would it
be possible to do add functionality that would intercept all changes to
a source buffer and notify an external program of those changes through
a TCP/IP connection.

2. Are there parsers for most languages? I have only seen C, C++, Java,
Assembler and TCL listed. I am particularly interested in Perl and
Python.

Thanks

--
Alain Désilets

Research Officer
National Research Council Canada
Institute for Information Technology

Agent de recherche
Conseil national de recherche Canada
Institut de technologies de l'information

email/courriel: alain.desilets@nrc.ca

* Re: Newbie question: SN customizability
@ 2001-03-05 12:58 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2001-03-05 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Desilets; +Cc: sourcenav

  Alain> 1. How does SN's customizability compare to Emacs? For example, would it
  Alain> be possible to do add functionality that would intercept all changes to
  Alain> a source buffer and notify an external program of those changes through
  Alain> a TCP/IP connection.

That could be done with modification to the sources.

  Alain> 2. Are there parsers for most languages? I have only seen C, C++, Java,
  Alain> Assembler and TCL listed. I am particularly interested in Perl and
  Alain> Python.

There is a Python parser in the source tree now.  I *think* someone on
the net was working on a Perl parser.

Ben