* Install bug
@ 2000-07-20 17:47 Chris Kuklewicz
From: Chris Kuklewicz @ 2000-07-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chrisk, sourcenav; +Cc: Mo DeJong

[ I am not subscribed ]

Up to date Redhat 6.2 and SN451.tar.gz

Looking at the email archive to locate my problem.
After installing under /usr/local as root I get as a user:

[ckuklewicz@kuklewicz download]$ snavigator
Error: invalid command name "sn_tcl_tk_init"

While root can start it.  I found problem discussed in the email
archive, with this note in particular:

--------------------------------

Re: Error in SourceNavigator installation.

     To: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey at switchco dot com>
     Subject: Re: Error in SourceNavigator installation.
     From: Mo DeJong <mdejong at cygnus dot com>
     Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
     cc: SourceNav <sourcenav at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Yep - its long been my habit (and common practice amoungst automake/conf
> configured apps) to switch to root before performing the final install.
> I guess SourceNav does some strange things that prohibit this from
> working. So.. my status is that I can install SourceNav on a per-user
> basis using the --prefix option in configuration but cannot just
> globally install the product for all users. I suppose I could make a
> globally writable directory for all to use but that's not the greatest
> idea as far as security and just plain stability of the system is
> concerned. I hope these are just first light hiccups and not intended
> consequences.

It sounds like one of the .tcl files or a directory is not getting installed
with the other readable bit set. Does anyone want to take a shot at
this one? You could get "first patch" bragging rights :)

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

--------------------------------

These three files were installed without other read permission

-rw-r-----    1 root     root         8709 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/db.h
-rw-r-----    1 root     root         4756 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/cdefs.h
-rw-r-----    1 root     root        55606 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/gui/tclIndex

After making the third one readable the ckukelwicz user could start snavigator

Good work, Mo DeJong!

* Re: Install bug
@ 2000-07-21  8:12 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-07-21  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav; +Cc: chrisk

> After installing under /usr/local as root I get as a user:
>
> [ckuklewicz@kuklewicz download]$ snavigator
> Error: invalid command name "sn_tcl_tk_init"
>
> While root can start it.  I found problem discussed in the email
> archive, with this note in particular:

> These three files were installed without other read permission
>
> -rw-r-----    1 root     root         8709 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/db.h
> -rw-r-----    1 root     root         4756 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/cdefs.h
> -rw-r-----    1 root     root        55606 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/gui/tclIndex
>
> After making the third one readable the ckukelwicz user could start snavigator

Ok, I fixed that by adding a "chmod 644 ${INSTALL}/share/gui/tclIndex"
to the make install rule. You will have to do this by hand or patch
it yourself until the first 5.0 snapshot is up (and no I can't say
when that will be).

cheers
Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Install bug
@ 2000-07-21 13:51   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-07-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: sourcenav, chrisk

Mo DeJong wrote:

> > After installing under /usr/local as root I get as a user:
> >
> > [ckuklewicz@kuklewicz download]$ snavigator
> > Error: invalid command name "sn_tcl_tk_init"
> >
> > While root can start it.  I found problem discussed in the email
> > archive, with this note in particular:

> > These three files were installed without other read permission
> >
> > -rw-r-----    1 root     root         8709 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/db.h
> > -rw-r-----    1 root     root         4756 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/sdk/include/cdefs.h
> > -rw-r-----    1 root     root        55606 Jul 20 19:56 ./share/gui/tclIndex
> >
> > After making the third one readable the ckukelwicz user could start snavigator
>
> Ok, I fixed that by adding a "chmod 644 ${INSTALL}/share/gui/tclIndex"
> to the make install rule. You will have to do this by hand or patch
> it yourself until the first 5.0 snapshot is up (and no I can't say
> when that will be).
>
> cheers
> Mo DeJong
> Red Hat Inc

I will generate a patch on Monday for this and post it to the ftp
directory.