* Sharing SourceNav databases ?
@ 2001-02-08  9:11 Hugo Varotto
From: Hugo Varotto @ 2001-02-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Source Nav List

Hi to all,

is there a way for more than one user to share/access simultaneously a project
databse ?  We are working on a project that requires more than one user to
access the database at the same time, and it will be nice not having to have
multiples copies of it.

Alternatively, if that's not possible, can it be shared in a read-only mode ?
What I'm thinking is in creating some sort of pre-default databases for
different versions of our project, without requiring allowing users to
update/change the database.

Any input will be appreciated, thanks in advance,

Hugo

* Re: Sharing SourceNav databases ?
@ 2001-02-08 12:29 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-02-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Hugo Varotto wrote:

> Hi to all,
>

> is there a way for more than one user to share/access simultaneously a project
> databse ?  We are working on a project that requires more than one user to
> access the database at the same time, and it will be nice not having to have
> multiples copies of it.

Not really. The SN DB is not really designed to support multiple
users.

> Alternatively, if that's not possible, can it be shared in a read-only mode ?
> What I'm thinking is in creating some sort of pre-default databases for
> different versions of our project, without requiring allowing users to
> update/change the database.

A number of folks do this sort of thing, I am not sure how well it
works but folks have reported some success with this approach.

Adding a multiple user DB layer is something we would like
to do, but thus far we have not found anyone that is
willing to fund the work.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Sharing SourceNav databases ?
@ 2001-02-09  0:48   ` Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET)
From: Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET) @ 2001-02-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: sourcenav

actually SN supports a kind of multiuser work. the database can
be shared, this works as following:

when a user wants to open an already opened project, SN pops up
a dialog box that the project is in use and asks the user if
he wants to make his copy of the project(file only). so the user
gets his copy of the project and the database is shared. SN
synchronizes the (write) access to the database.

khamis