* Command line use?
@ 2001-09-10  9:44 Juhana Sadeharju
From: Juhana Sadeharju @ 2001-09-10  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello. If I browsed User Guide correctly, SN cannot be operated
from command line. Following simple tasks should go through command
line; please consider.

I looked for a software for creating Makefiles automatically because
I have an old software having hundrets of files in nearly 200 directories.
Instead of modifying 200 Makefiles or Makefiles.am, it would make
sense if a software (SN?) generates the Makefiles.

For the task, I don't need to maintain any files -- simple making of
the makefiles would do fine. If anything is missing (from system files),
then error reports are okay. So, simple "snavigator justdoit" command
line command would do fine for me. "make all" should compile all
executables, one per main() found, and build a library file based
on (given?) .h files.

My own library of routines has several tens of .c/.h files. When I
write source for a new executable, I just add dependencies to Makefile
and not pack my library to a lib file. Here I would need a command
"snavigator justdoit" which creates makefiles so that "make main"
would compile main() in file main.c and "make another" would compile
the main() in file another.c.

Library could similarly be made by "snavigator justdoit libhere.h libhere".
"make libhere" would actually compile and assemble the "libhere" library
file.

I don't need and don't want understand the Makefile system beyond this.
So, is Source-Navigator for me, or should I look for a better program?
(Or can SN be made simple for the simple tasks like above?)

Best Regards,

Juhana

PS. I'm not in the mailing list, but I read replies from the archive

* Debugging SN source
@ 2001-09-11  0:43 ` jithendra nath
From: jithendra nath @ 2001-09-11  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

dear all,

     Why am i not able to debug SN source code with
gdb.

when i give in command line

gdb snavigator

i get an errar like
"not in executable format : file format not
recognized"

where as iam able to debug the executables of parsers.
why ?

how can i debug SN executable??

Regards Jithendra

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: Debugging SN source
@ 2001-09-12 12:26   ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-09-12 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jithendra nath; +Cc: sourcenav

jithendra nath wrote:

> dear all,
>
>      Why am i not able to debug SN source code with
> gdb.
>
> when i give in command line
>
> gdb snavigator
>
> i get an errar like
> "not in executable format : file format not
> recognized"
>
> where as iam able to debug the executables of parsers.
> why ?

snavigator is a shell script.

> how can i debug SN executable??

If you read the snavigator file you'll notice that
there is line which runs Source-Navigator from gdb.
It's commented out, but if you uncomment it and run
the script snavigator, you'll debug SN.

Ian.