* Impact Analysis
@ 2001-01-29  2:34 Brian Nulty
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Nulty @ 2001-01-29  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

    I'm just have a look at source navigator before deciding whether to
roll it out for the site. One question I have concerns impact analysis.
Can I see what code is impacted by a change? The reason for this is to
help identify appropriate unit testing. I presume the answer encompasses
the cross-referencing capabilities.

   Any help would be  appreciated.

brian

* Cant unload files
@ 2001-01-29  3:59 ` Tony Armitstead
From: Tony Armitstead @ 2001-01-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi,

I am using SN 4.52 on WinNT 4 SP6. My problem is that I cant unload files
in the project editor. What happens is that I select the file, click the
Unload button and the file is moved to an Unloaded entry in the tree
display. If I then click the Apply button or the OK button the file is put
back into the project. Is this a known bug?

/======================================================\
| Tony Armitstead BSc        EMail: tonya@noral.com    |
| Development Manager        Phone: +44 (0)1254 295807 |
| Noral Micrologics            Fax: +44 (0)1254 295801 |
| WEB: http://www.noral.com   FTP: ftp://ftp.noral.com |
\======================================================/

* Re: Cant unload files
@ 2001-01-29 10:33   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-01-29 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Armitstead, sourcenav

At 11:31 AM 1/29/01 +0000, Tony Armitstead wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using SN 4.52 on WinNT 4 SP6. My problem is that I cant unload files
>in the project editor. What happens is that I select the file, click the
>Unload button and the file is moved to an Unloaded entry in the tree
>display. If I then click the Apply button or the OK button the file is put
>back into the project. Is this a known bug?

No, it is not.

What platform are you running on? Are you running the Windows native
version, or are you running a UNIX version X-displaying to your Windows box?

Thanks for the heads up.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Impact Analysis
@ 2001-01-29 10:34 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-01-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Nulty, sourcenav

At 10:23 AM 1/29/01 +0000, Brian Nulty wrote:
>Hi,
>
>     I'm just have a look at source navigator before deciding whether to
>roll it out for the site. One question I have concerns impact analysis.
>Can I see what code is impacted by a change? The reason for this is to
>help identify appropriate unit testing. I presume the answer encompasses
>the cross-referencing capabilities.
>
>    Any help would be  appreciated.
>
>brian

We do not currently have this support in the product. One could probably
use the SDK to create the correct queries of the XRef database.

@ 2001-01-30  0:10     ` Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET)
From: Khamis Abuelkomboz (UUNET) @ 2001-01-30  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syd Polk; +Cc: Tony Armitstead, sourcenav

Syd Polk wrote:

> At 11:31 AM 1/29/01 +0000, Tony Armitstead wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using SN 4.52 on WinNT 4 SP6. My problem is that I cant unload
>> files in the project editor. What happens is that I select the file,
>> click the Unload button and the file is moved to an Unloaded entry in
>> the tree display. If I then click the Apply button or the OK button
>> the file is put back into the project. Is this a known bug?

I also run in this problem alot. I primary use SN on Windows
platform. It happens almost with files containing blanks. It's
a bug in SN.

khamis

> No, it is not.
>
> What platform are you running on? Are you running the Windows native
> version, or are you running a UNIX version X-displaying to your Windows
> box?
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>

> Syd Polk        spolk@redhat.com
> Engineering Manager    +1 415 777 9810 x 241
> Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Impact Analysis
@ 2001-01-30  0:33 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-01-30  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Brian Nulty wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'm just have a look at source navigator before deciding whether to
> roll it out for the site. One question I have concerns impact analysis.
> Can I see what code is impacted by a change? The reason for this is to
> help identify appropriate unit testing. I presume the answer encompasses
> the cross-referencing capabilities.

Well, I use SN to do impact analysis all the time, but it
is a manual process. Automated impact analysis ala
"program slicing" and the like only work for really
trivial stuff. Most of the time real problems
require that you get down and dirty with the code
in ways that automated tools just can't deal with.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Cant unload files
@ 2001-01-31  3:00     ` Tony Armitstead
From: Tony Armitstead @ 2001-01-31  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

At 10:32 AM 1/29/01 -0800, Syd Polk wrote:
>At 11:31 AM 1/29/01 +0000, Tony Armitstead wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am using SN 4.52 on WinNT 4 SP6. My problem is that I cant unload files
>>in the project editor. What happens is that I select the file, click the
>>Unload button and the file is moved to an Unloaded entry in the tree
>>display. If I then click the Apply button or the OK button the file is
>>put back into the project. Is this a known bug?
>
>No, it is not.
>
>What platform are you running on? Are you running the Windows native
>version, or are you running a UNIX version X-displaying to your Windows box?
>
>Thanks for the heads up.
>

>Syd Polk                spolk@redhat.com
>Engineering Manager     +1 415 777 9810 x 241
>Red Hat, Inc.

I am using the native Windows version. After further investigation I
conclude this is not an trivial bug. If I create a new project and add a
few files I can unload them without a problem. However my real project has
lots of files spread across several directories - and this project will not
unload the files. I also have a problem with the Edit Target dialog,
"Source Files" tab. It seems to get upset when the file names have mixed
case. For example  if I select all the files in the "Project Files" list
and click the "> Add Files>" button, only those files in lower case are
transferred. Specifically I had a file which showed up as BOOTROM.CPP. No
way could I get that file into the "Target Files" list. I ended up having
to rename all my source files to lower case and then everything worked as
expected. So I wonder if SN has problems with file/path case and whether
this could be causing the problem with removing files from the project.

I am also running into what I think is a problem with case sensitive paths
during the build process. When I build within SN I get failures along the
lines of:

make: *** No rule to make target `rs232server.h', needed by `bootrom.o'. Stop

Now, rs232server.h _is_ (in lower case) in the include paths as setup in
the build settings. Specifically the directory structure is:
bootrom.cpp is in d:/tpa_ecos/BootROM
rs232server.h is in d:/tpa_ecos/BootROM/Rs232
the project is in d:/tpa_ecos/BootROM
the project build rule settings for C++ files contains the automatically
generated entry RS232

If I generate an external makefile and look at it I see (... == stuff
removed for clarity):

VPATH = ... D:/tpa_ecos/BootROM/RS232

CPP_INCLUDES = -I. ... -IRS232 ...

bootrom.o: rs232server.h ...

I looked in the list archives and saw a similar thread about this which
suggested using the latest cygwin make. Well AFAIK  I am - version is
3.79.1. Note that I also get the problem when manually 'makeing' from a
cygwin console so this is not a SN problem but a build tools one. However
it seems this may be related perhaps i.e. maybe the case problem is in
cygwin and not SN.

If anyone else has seen these problems and sorted them out I would be
grateful to know how.

Thanks.