* Include tree question
@ 2001-04-04  5:52 leonp
From: leonp @ 2001-04-04  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hello,
         In my project I have one include file a.h which includes another
file b.h. In the Makefile generated by SN 5.0 I see the *.c file dependency
on a.h but no references to b.h Thus any changes made to b.h are
"invisible" for make utility.
         Is this a bug or some kind of my problem?
         Thanks ahead.

Leon Pollak
leonp@plris.com

* Re: Include tree question
@ 2001-04-04 11:06 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-04-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leonp; +Cc: sourcenav

leonp@plris.com wrote:

> Hello,
>          In my project I have one include file a.h which includes another
> file b.h. In the Makefile generated by SN 5.0 I see the *.c file dependency
> on a.h but no references to b.h Thus any changes made to b.h are
> "invisible" for make utility.
>          Is this a bug or some kind of my problem?

Yeah, this is a bug.  Well, a limitation, when generating
the dependencies, basically it doesn't recurs the dependencies
of dependencies (just that of the source file).

I'm not sure when this will be fixed, I'm currently looking at
doing a bunch of work on build system to make it more complete
and flexible.

Ian.

* Re: Include tree question
@ 2001-04-04 13:17   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-04-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough; +Cc: leonp, sourcenav

Ian> Yeah, this is a bug.  Well, a limitation, when generating
Ian> the dependencies, basically it doesn't recurs the dependencies
Ian> of dependencies (just that of the source file).

Ian> I'm not sure when this will be fixed, I'm currently looking at
Ian> doing a bunch of work on build system to make it more complete
Ian> and flexible.

The best way (imnsho) to generate dependencies is to do it as a
side-effect of the build.  Then they are always up to date.  Automake
does this in a fairly ugly way.  If S-N can assume GNU make then you
can do it with relatively little hackery.

Tom