From: henryn <henryn@ms.spacebbs.com>
To: Ian Roxborough <irox@redhat.com>
Cc: <sourcenav@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: SN4.5.2   Win32 setup/usage for call-freq.tk
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:22:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Ian:

Thanks for your email:

> Hi,
>
> call-freq.tk isn't a really utility, it's more of an example
> on how to rewrite addons or utilities for SN.

Yes I understand that, though I believe I've seen some dox somewhere that
seem to promise a bit more for this script.

A little history:   I was a paying customer for SN 4.2 Developer.  Haven't
used it for a while.

What I want is --no surprise-- the call frequencies for the code.  Handy for
my work.

I had heard the "enterprise" version of SN 4.2 had this feature built in.

Just now came back to look for the latest and found the model had changed
entirely.

> You can run it like this:
>
> ./hyper -f ../share/sdk/api/tcl/database/examples/call-freq.tk
>
> But you'll need to pass the project directory and project name.
> I'm not sure how well it'll work on Windows, you may have to
> use snsdk.exe to launch it (if it's results are sent to the
> console).

After a few experiments --aided by the very nice Tcl debug framework-- I got
this working.  The usage is:

 ./hyper  full-path-of-script  full-path-of-SN-bin  projectname

> These scripts aren't well maintained, it wouldn't suprise me
> if they don't work.

Well, this script works, but not perfectly.  The scatter plot is poorly
scaled -- most everything is bunched up in a corner.  Clicking on a data
point (to get specific call frequency data) is difficult.    There's some
strange effect that brings up an error message on a mis-aim.  But I can't
reproduce it now.

Would it be a worthwhile contribution for me to try to reproduce the error
and report it?  If no one cares, I won't bother.

I'll probably try to excise all the graphics and dump the call frequency to
the console (but then I may have to deal with "snsdk.exe" -- whatever that
is) or to a file.  I've done just enough Tcl hacking to be dangerous.

Thanks for your help.

Henry

Henry Neugass
Microsystems Consultant