* SNV 4.5.2 can't parse 2.4.0 linuxppc kernel
@ 2001-01-15 10:40 Lonnie VanZandt
From: Lonnie VanZandt @ 2001-01-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Source Navigator is having problems parsing the PPC 2.4.0 kernel
sources. The first problem is a "b ." operation in
arch/parisc/kernel//hpmc.S. After commenting out that line, parsing
hangs again on another file. I haven't looked at that second fault yet.
One must sigkill snav to get back control.

* Re: SNV 4.5.2 can't parse 2.4.0 linuxppc kernel
@ 2001-01-15 12:46 ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-01-15 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lonnie VanZandt; +Cc: sourcenav

Unless you've not rewritten a PPC assembly parser, you going to
have a hard time parsering PPC instructions.

You should still be able to look at all the non PPC assembly files.

If you want the PPC assembly files you have to write a PPC parser.

If you want to write a assembly parser, you should look at
the examples in the Source-Navigator code base.

IAn.

@ 2001-01-15 12:59 ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2001-01-15 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lonnie VanZandt; +Cc: sourcenav

   Source Navigator is having problems parsing the PPC 2.4.0 kernel
   sources. The first problem is a "b ." operation in
   arch/parisc/kernel//hpmc.S. After commenting out that line, parsing

I'm not surprised -- S-N doesn't know how to parse HP PA-RISC assembly.

   hangs again on another file. I haven't looked at that second fault
   yet. One must sigkill snav to get back control.

Can you identify the troublesome second file?  Does it cause a problem in a
project on its own?

Ben

* Re: SNV 4.5.2 can't parse 2.4.0 linuxppc kernel
@ 2001-01-15 13:39   ` Ian Roxborough
From: Ian Roxborough @ 2001-01-15 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lonnie VanZandt, sourcenav

Let's ignore my emails today.

There really is a PPC parser.

Ian.

@ 2001-01-15 13:49     ` Lonnie L VanZandt
From: Lonnie L VanZandt @ 2001-01-15 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough,

I suspected so since it had no problems with 2.2.* with PPC...

@ 2001-01-15 14:15   ` Lonnie L VanZandt
From: Lonnie L VanZandt @ 2001-01-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: sourcenav

arch/arm/mach-sa1100/arch.c causes the Project Scanner to simply hang. I
took the parisc directories out of hierarchy so now this file is the first
hang. It takes a sigkill to get control back and unfortunately the core
offers no clue since it is symbolless.

It would be helpful if snav rather than hanging when it encountered a
problem file would flag the file, skip it, and go on...

Lonnie.

@ 2001-01-16  9:07   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-01-16  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Roxborough; +Cc: Lonnie VanZandt, sourcenav

We ship a powerpc parser with Source-Navigator. It might be choking on
x86 assembler, however.

@ 2001-01-16  9:18     ` Lonnie L VanZandt
From: Lonnie L VanZandt @ 2001-01-16  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spolk, 	Ian Roxborough; +Cc: sourcenav

The first problem was with PA-RISC assembly. I didn't see anything unusual
that would have caused the second hang...